I asked what she wanted to eat and she mentioned the spinach ricotta pie would be good. Being that my dad is particular about what foods he eats, I suggested a dish that he would like too. While she was not as excited about that dish, she said it would be ok. Little did she know that I had other plans in store for the big Surprise Birthday Hoopla!

So, last Sunday morning I woke up extra early; Dave had already left for his bishopric meetings at 5:30am which meant I was in charge of getting the little guy and I fed, washed and dressed for church - as well as doing all of the birthday preparations!
First off, I got the cupcakes in the oven and started in on the main dishes. I whipped up baked spaghetti for dad & Dave - and then made the pie (similar to a quiche) for mom & I to share, with a green salad for all. Little did mom know that a spaghetti feast was not in her future - that would be surprise #1.
I also whipped up some chocolate-mousse filling for the stuffed cupcakes, complete with triple chocolate frosting. But, surprise #2 was that hers was covered in German Chocolate frosting, which is her favorite. A few scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream and a pink, curvy candle completed the presentation!
Finally, the present - and surprise #3. We had Benjamin's pictures taken a few weeks back and I had a 10x13 photo that I got framed. When they arrived, we presented the gift with a homemade card. She exclaimed that it was the perfect present and what she would want for any holiday gift.
Then, I brought out the lunch and she was surprised to see that her plate was not filled with sauce and noodles, but the lunch she had requested!
Finally, we brought out the dessert and after singing our best rendition of "Happy Birthday", we feasted on the sweet, chocolate and oozing ice cream goodness of it all.
1 comment:
You are such a good daughter to your mom. :) And I can't believe you were able to get all of that done too, before church. Wow. with a baby too.
Post a Comment