DAY #8 - EducationI am so grateful for all of the opportunities I have had to get an education and to pursue a lifetime of learning.
When you think about it, we all go to school for 13 years. In the middle of that span of time, it seems like an eternity, with graduation as a far-off dream. Those years do span a long time, but they go by so quickly that I wonder why I wished away the time so desperately.
A big part of my education during those 13 years, and I would be remiss if I did not mention it, was my spiritual education. Thanks to some very dedicated and tenacious Seminary & Sunday School teachers, I learned of beautiful gospel principles, such as eternal families, the power of prayer, repentance, humility, the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation.
On a warm summer evening, I dressed in a red cap and gown - but was one of the few in my high school's graduating class that did not have a tear-streaked face that night. I couldn't feel sad; the thought of moving on to a new chapter of my education at BYU was thrilling and full of amazing possibilities & adventures.
College was an amazing experience where I learned so much about myself. Getting a bachelor's degree in English and a History minor was a difficult and challenging pursuit. However, looking back on it, I am so grateful for the experiences, both book learning and life lessons, that I took away from my time there.
Years later, I had another amazing opportunity to return to school and pursue a master's degree in Library and Information Science. I never thought I would get a master's degree because of the expense, but thanks to a great reimbursement plan at my work I was able to get a valuable education at one of the top programs in the country... and did it with zero student loans! More than that, I am grateful for that experience because it has given me the chance to work in a position I love and where I can continue to learn each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment