Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...


...it's off to the ER we go.

Benjamin has been sick this week.
But last night it got worse.
A lot worse.

Last night's formula for disaster:
Congestion +
Coughing +
Runny nose +
Crying +
More coughing +
Snort-like breathing +
Wheezing +
Really yucky coughing +
Call to consulting nurse +
= Pack up the car.

That is how we found ourselves in the hospital emergency room at 4 this morning.  I was expecting the place to be teeming with whooping cough candidates and swine flu carriers, but the place was completely empty.

Well, except for Dr. A, who I know from work.  I waved and kind of shrugged my shoulders as we walked past.  He waved back and smiled.

The triage nurse, dressed head to toe in black scrubs and sporting a few tattoos, was completely awesome.  It may have been gas, but the little guy smiled as the nurse peeled away his striped dino pj's to take the vitals.  He kept calling Benjamin "dude", as in "Hang in there, dude" or "It's ok, dude". It was super cute... or maybe I was just super tired.  Still, the guy was awesome.

After an exam by the friendly & chipper Dr. Chad, a breathing treatment from a lady who spoke with a heavy Jamaican accent, and some wiggly x-rays, the swine flu, non-swine flu, pneumonia and RSV were basically all ruled out.

Thank heavens.

We returned home around 7am.  And something really did the trick because he (and Dave) are both sleeping soundly.   Which is where I plan to be shortly.

Good night!

No comments: