Saturday, October 01, 2011

Managing the Joyful Madness

EAT, WORK, PLAY, CLEAN, SERVE, SLEEP, REPEAT.

Do you ever wonder how people do it? I sure do. Lately, it seems life has been such a whirlwind that I don't have time to blog... or even shower some days! This week was no exception. Here's a glimpse into a typical week in the life of the Goodwin family (trying to squeeze in a nice summary in the precious minutes I have before General Conference):

MONDAY:
We spent FHE at the gym. Dave did weights, some spinning and then ran - what a machine! I opted for the treadmill, alternating between running and walking at 15% grade. While he showered - I rarely do at the gym - I hopped on the elliptical and logged another 30 minutes to my cardio. Thankfully, we had leftovers in the fridge, so we dined, most ravenously, on beef stroganoff and a green salad with grape tomatoes fresh from our [container] garden. We had a quick read in the scriptures, followed by reading the story of Nephi from "My First Book of Mormon" for Benjamin.

TUESDAY:
Benjamin's first gymnastics class - smashing success! The class, AcroRoos, is a parent-child class, which is crazy smart, seeing as the entire 30 minutes was spent running after runaway kids. Felt very much like herding cats. They did a name game to start off; ran through an obstacle, tumbling course; climbed a ladder; bounced down a long, narrow trampoline into a foam pit; hung out on the uneven bars; and finished with a wild stampede of dancing, running and bouncing on that familiar spring-loaded floor. The teacher asked how soon Benjamin turned 3; apparently, he is a bit more advanced and so she thought he was older than he was. We're staying put because I don't think he can handle a coach-only class yet!


Gym class was followed up by a visit to Dr. Hoing for his 2-year check-up. While waiting, he investigated the office and created some Crayola masterpieces. This kid is growing like a weed, evidenced by his 30 lbs (59%) and 39" tall (off the charts). She kept commenting that he was going to be a handful. I had to kind of laugh at the verb "going" - more like, already was long ago! He was up for his annual flu shot and Hep A; the nurse said she was the best in the clinic, but even she struggled with our busy boy. He was absolutely horrified and upset by the shots, but after grabbing a strawberry sundae at Dairy Queen, he exclaimed, "Oh happy day!" in the car on the ride home.


That evening, Dave got home in time to sit down for a dinner of grilled turkey & cheese sandwiches, and piping hot chicken enchilada soup. Then, he was off to YM/YW game night at the church while Benjamin & I built words with his foam letters in the bathtub. Stayed up in time for dad to join in family prayer, then everyone was off to bed... well, not before indulging in our guilty pleasure - the "Dancing with the Stars" results show.

WEDNESDAY:
My visiting teachers came over and the three of us decided to organize a babysitting trade for date nights. Super excited about that little idea! While grocery shopping that morning, the sister missionaries called to see if I could pick them up for our dinner appointment. "Um, isn't that next Wednesday?", I asked. Well, yes - in fact, we signed up for two weeks in a row; the last week of September and the first week of October. Bring on the madness! Fortunately, a Relief Society planning meeting scheduled for the afternoon was cancelled so I was freed up to do laundry, clean the kitchen and whip up dinner. I opted for a salad bar, and then supplemented with some of my whole-wheat rolls followed with brownie sundaes for dessert.

THURSDAY:
Wow, what a doozy. Benjamin's lack of sleep was epic - and he was unconsolable. I was flummoxed; finally, in a last-ditch effort, at 3:30am I gave him some Ibuprofen. He was out in minutes. This should have been a clue, but I slumped in my bed and prayed I wouldn't pass out at work. Slept in and got to work an hour late - and while I didn't pass out (thank you!), I was less than stellar in the productivity area. Dave picked me up at the bus stop and we headed for home for a quick dinner so I could get to my stake pageant rehearsal. But alas, that would not be. Dave had discovered fluid encrusted inside Benjamin's ear. Ugh. Calls to his pediatrician were useless, as they were booked for the next two days. So, I called the director of the pageant, said I wouldn't be there and then we were off again to Urgent Care, with tuna sandwiches & grapes as our picnic on-the-go. In hindsight, I should have known he was sick. After 90 minutes, the diagnosis was a double, raging ear-infection. With allergies to penicillin, medication options are all crazy expensive, but we do what we have to do. That night, the price tag was priceless - we all slept like babies.

FRIDAY:
Dave was off to work early. After finishing breakfast, Benj & I packed up and met up with my parents at the cancer center in Everett. My mom has chemo every Friday, so it's easier to meet there rather than drive up to Stanwood. We spent the morning at a fun neighborhood park adjacent to the hospital. Benjamin ran around with mom, while I sat and chatted with dad. We rounded out our fun morning with an early lunch at McDonalds. I spent the rest of the day cleaning and folding laundry. I always wonder how we go through so many clothes so quickly! But alas, it's life, so we push on. I had set up a babysitter & a double date with a couple from our old ward for Friday night, but the husband was sent out of town on business. Because we still had a babysitter, we went out. Originally, we headed for the gym, but both of us were worn out from the crazy week, so we settled on burritos at Taco del Mar. Honestly, just getting out was the perfect date night in my book. Benjamin's first experience with Maren was stellar - I was happy to hear how well we did.

So, that's where we are - tired, worn out and very ready to be spiritually fed by the apostles during Conference Weekend. Stay tuned for more fun times ahead...

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Is that gymagine?! Looks fun! That's too bad about his raging ear infection...at least there are meds for it. I kinda like ear infections (bacterial infections) better than colds because once you get antibiotics they are good to go in a couple days, whereas colds last 10 days! ahh!

Stacey said...

What a crazy week! But the little thing that caught my attention was that your mom has chemo every Thursday. I hope you're doing well and that the outlook is good.