Monday, September 26, 2011

Friday's Top 10 List: Things I Loved About The Weekend

The Monday Version


I usually do a Top 10 list on Fridays - thus the name - but I'm throwing caution to the wind and doing it on a Monday instead. And since so few folks read the blog these days, I'm treating this bloggity-blog thing as more of a personal journal, so I'm sure that no one will mind.

Anyway, ready... set... list!


  1. Hillbilly Hoedown - This month's ward activity came complete with chili, cornbread, Mormon Moonshine (rootbeer), pie-eating contests and babysitting provided! Oh, and an insane amount of missing teeth and an overabundance of oversized overalls. If that doesn't scream 'Good times!', I don't know what does.


  2. Style on the Cheap - Over the weekend, I was surfing the web and came across some fun, frivilous, frugal fashion-y sites. Made me think I can make some nice revisions to my wardrobe & style without killing our monthly budget.

  3. Oh, what a beautiful mornin' - Every day I wake up, see the sun shining and can open the windows without being assaulted by killer chicken methane gases - I chock that up to a blessed thing.

  4. Operation Cupcake - If ever someone is sad, ill, bored or just needs to be cheered up, the first thing that pops into my mind is cupcakes, of course. So, when a close friend was badly hurt in a mountain biking accident last weekend, Dave bought him a mountain bike magazine (much to his wife's chagrin, I'm sure) and I made my Peanut Butter & Chocolate cupcakes. My hope is that a little sugar and a lot of love poured into those babies can heal 5 cracked ribs, one punctured lung and a bruised liver; if not, at least it will take his mind off of the pain, I suppose.


  5. General Relief Society Broadcast - For some odd reason, I've missed the last 2 or 3 of these broadcasts. I was glad that I made it to this one - and thanks to the carpooling kindness of one of the sisters in my ward, I got to hang with a huge group of awesome ladies. While I nibbled on Haribo gummy bears, Sister Beck spoke about the purpose & organization of RS, Sister Allred spoke with her sweet accent of relieving the poor and saving souls, Sister Thompson addressed the saving nature of keeping of covenants, and President Uchtdorf talked about pretty blue flowers.

  6. Forget-Me-Nots - I'm not sure what it is about President Uchtdorf, but I adore that kind man and the wonderful talks he gives during conference. This one was no exception, as he used the Forget-Me-Not and its 5 petals as a metaphor of things we should not forget: Forget Not to be Patient with Yourself; Forget Not the Difference Between Good and Foolish Sacrifices; Forget Not to Be Happy Now; Forget Not the 'Why' of the Gospel; and Forget Not that the Lord Loves You. Favorite quote: "Sisters, wherever you are, whatever the circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you, with an infinite love." Love love love.

  7. Surviving Church - I absolutely love our son, but he was a holy terror yesterday and I don't know who he is and what has he done with our angelic little boy. Lately, he's taken to slapping our faces with wild abandon while we hold him during church and it nearly drove me to the brink yesterday. Coupled with the fact that none of us got much sleep the previous night (spontaneous family slumber party on the couch), it was one tough day. BUT! I love that we made it through church, including an extra 40 minutes in sacrament meeting and waiting while Dave attended BYC after the block - and that we are living to tell the tale. Totally giving myself a high-five on that one.

  8. Back to Basics - The reason we had an extra long sacrament meeting yesterday was for the Ward Council to present the ward's goal & game plan for the year; namely, to Strengthen the Family. I absolutely loved it. We absolutely need it. It's going to be awesome to put it into action. Plus, they made this pretty poster that we can hang on the fridge to chart our successes. I'm all kinds of excited about implementing The Plan.


  9. Sunday Dinner - Leah & Logan Black were coming over for dinner, but had to raincheck as a family thing came up. So, we did dinner solo and you know what? It was just nice to have our little family - the three of us - sit around the table and eat good food. I whipped up beef stroganoff, a side of green grapes & raspberries, a salad of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers, chased down with icy cold water. It was simple, tasty, relaxing and it was exactly what the doctor ordered after a chaotic Sunday.

  10. Bike Date - Best Part of the Weekend, hands down. Dave rushed in from helping a scout complete his Eagle Project, and announced that it was such a beautiful day, we were going on a bike ride. Thanks to the awesome babysitting assist of Jillian, Janaya, Jessica & Bret, we dropped off the kiddo to run free in the Webbs' backyard of fun while we hopped on our bikes. Heading north, we rode along the Interurban Trail, down into the Snohomish Valley, up Highway 9 and Cathcart, and managed to circle back to the Webbs' house in less than 90 minutes. Not bad for a 20-mile bike ride!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a busy weekend!

I want to get a copy of your pretty poster to hang on my fridge!

I missed the broadcast thanks to an awful cold, and one I am sharing with the boys. Oddly enough, I caught it first! :( Thankfully I see that it is availalbe to watch online!

Shera said...

I would love to know which sites you were looking at. I need some help in the fashion frugal department :)

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness your sacrament meetings are sounding a lot like ours lately. We have 1pm church and it is soooo hard! It is right during naptime. We try to get preston to nap on Will's lap, but he has fought it for the past few weeks so instead he tries to lay down on the bench while flinging his body parts every where and kicking us with his shoes and accidentally lifting up my dress. Our little Taylor just gets LOUD and fussy and grabby. He does not want to sit on your lap, but if we put him on the floor he goes straight for the organ. So without fail, we have to end up taking him out to the foyer. The past 2 times we've gone to church we have spent more time in the hallway than in class. Oiye. LOL