Friday, September 16, 2011

Under the Harvest Moon

"But now it's gettin' late/And the moon is climbin' high/I want to celebrate/See it shinin' in your eye."


Each quarter, we get together with folks from our old ward to eat good food, enjoy seeing old friends and take in the excitement of our festive dinner parties. This time around, Allison, Linda & I planned the event and decided (fingers crossed for good weather) that we would hold it in our backyard, which overlooks the Snohomish Valley. Little did we know that particular day would be one of the hottest days of the year in Seattle!


With Autumn fast approaching, our group decided to go with a theme of golden, red and brown to celebrate the impending season. We invited everyone to bring food (we potluck with such a large group) that was in keeping with the comfort foods of fall.

After stringing up several lighted garlands and spreading tablecloths, we covered the tables with candles, leaves and ceramic bowls filled with snacks and candies. A large drink dispenser was filled with water and sliced oranges, while countless tealights scattered across the yard came to light. Paper bag luminarias lined the walkway, directing partygoers down to the festivities.

As people arrived, they placed beautiful dishes filled with plentiful & aromatic foods. There were gorgeous tamales, piping hot meatballs & rice, a delicious tomato & pasta soup, mango & greens salad, fresh rolls, amazing stuffed chicken breasts, marbled sweet bread and Linda's famous pumpkin bread pudding with crรจme anglaise.

Oh heaven, thy name is comfort food!

But besides food, we had a murder mystery to solve! Thanks to a very creative BYU roommate of mine, who was kind enough to ship the game to me, it was completely free! The only minor problem? She had written it for 12 people and 18 people had RSVPd! So... I had to quickly write SIX characters into the game. It was no small task and I was sweating bullets to finish just 30 minutes before people arrived. Talk about intense deadlines! Despite the fact some folks had more in-depth characters than others, everyone seemed to enjoy it and really got into the night's activities! Everyone arrived in character, some in incredibly impressive costumes too. And although it was so stressful to pull it off, I had countless people come up and thank me for such a fun evening - which makes the craziness worth it!

Here are some of the "attendees" (L-R):
Jonathan Clancy (mystery writer) & his dear movie star friend, Olivia Vance; Jean Dupont (aspiring archaeologist) & Inspector Claire Harlow (me!); mysterious socialite Lydia Wellington & her travel companion, Dr. Roger Bryant; Colin Buckley (the butler) & Ariadne Clancy; Madeleine (the maid) & Dr. Norman Gale, DDS. Others not included in picture: Lady Cicely Horbury - rich wife of an Earl & Armand Dupont - famous archaeologist (the Watsons); Vivian Davis & Peter Westwick - the flight attendants (the Palomeras); Jane Grey - Hairdresser & Alistair Sloane - banker (the Loloheas); James Ryder - concrete magnate & Venetia Kerr - English noblewoman (the Valentines).



It was a lusciously warm and exciting night, filled with amazing food, hilarious antics and loads of "who dunit?" questions floating in the evening air.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Good job! It was fun!!!

wandering nana said...

I didn't really help plan it just brought stuff. It was a fun night.

Jenni said...

That is the coolest idea ever!!!!! I LOVE IT. I have been wanting to host a party like that for a while, but just haven't done it. I soooo want to do a murder mystery party. You have inspired me! When I do, I'll have to talk to you and get ideas. Love your decorations too - especially the candles in the rocks. So pretty.