Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Lovin'

Stuff I'm Loving Today

I had a bit of an epiphany today. My blog posts have been boring, a bit negative and basically, not so fun to read. After a few hectic, somewhat "downer" posts, I figured it was time to wax a bit more positive and share the love. Here are some things that have made me laugh, smile or somehow brighten my days.

Shorty McShorterson
While playing at a local park, I noticed something strange. Either Benjamin had an incredibly fast growth spurt, or I had inadvertently dressed him in some shorty pants. Lo and behold, "18 months", was emblazoned on the tag. I tugged them lower on his waist, but despite the wardrobe adjustment, he was dressed like the floods were coming.

The Work Is Not Done
Because we arrived early for Benjamin's tumbling class in Mukilteo, I took a little detour to check out the progress of our old church building. With today being the 1-year anniversary of the arson, I wanted to post the beautiful sight of it rising from the ashes (anticipated completion in early 2012). It brings to mind the following quote: "... no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done." (History of the Church 4:540)

Monkey
Otherwise known as Benjamin's blanket, it has become a part of the family. We all talk of this blanket as if it's a person, such as "Where's Monkey?" or "Go get Monkey". Even his nursery leaders understand the love of the Monkey; when I see them before Sacrament, they'll check to make sure I brought it that day. It's a pretty serious attachment and I can absolutely see that tattered, full-of-holes blanket being packed in his bags when he goes off to college or on his mission. Monkey and Benjamin are best buds.

Cupcake-o-Rama
Cupcake making is still going strong. Loads of folks have urged me to open a business. A few weeks ago, I had some business cards printed because of the interest. I'd love to open a shop, and if not for the fact that I'd have to live there 24/7 and we'd have to pay a second round of self-employment taxes, I would have done it years ago. For now, I'll keep experimenting and baking and delivering the crazy creations to random, lucky recipients. It's fun and it's just what I love to do.

A First: Five Guys Burgers & Fries
A long-awaited, multiple rain-checked date night with our friends, Todd & Tawnya, finally came to fruition on Friday. We decided for a quick dinner at 5 Guys because it was close to the theaters. Neither Dave nor I had been there before, so T&T gave us the scoop on how to order and such. While we don't normally do burgers and fries, it was a fun, greasy, lip-smacking dinner. I've never seen this happen before with us, but we actually left food uneaten. wow. The food was good but the company? It was awesome and just what we needed.

Let's Play Ball
After our greasy-spoon dinner, we saw this little Brad Pitt flick. It's all about our national pastime, but there is very little actual playing of the baseball. The best part was being able to use our Sprint Takedown Deal tickets ($4/ea), which were set to expire the next day. An awesomely-cheap date to the feel good movie of the Fall with good friends adds up to some good times.


Back to Basics
On Friday, we cancelled our Frontier Triple Play package. No more digital cable with hundreds of channels. No more DVR. No more super high-speed internet. No more (useless/unused) home phone. Instead, we now have basic cable (~30 channels) and bare-bones internet access. I could not be happier to free up much-needed time, cut down our budget by $100 and get rid of a whole slew of worthless media. I think Dave feels the same way, except he is still in mourning over the loss of ESPN, Versus & Root Sports. Hopefully, time will heal those wounds.

UW vs Colorado
After all of those years of losing and losing and losing and, well, losing, it's nice to have some respectable wins under that Husky belt. A blowout is never that fun for either team, but despite the fact that they blew Colorado out of the water yesterday, the win still felt kind of good. And better yet - they made it on to the Top 25 lists. Lovin' those Huskies.

Using Time Wisely
On a whim, I cracked open President Hinckley's book, Stand a Little Taller, earlier this week. The day's topic was about gratitude & sacrifice. I flipped through a few more pages, landing on October 15th. The topic jumped out at me, a timely memo from a loving Father in Heaven. It read:

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." ~Alma 34:32 He explains, "Time is really all we have. And every individual has an equal portion of it. The trick is to get more out of what is available to us."

Wow - this was spot on with what I'd been ruminating about the last little while. I never seem to have enough Time. But after reading this, the epiphany came; everyone is allotted the same amount of hours, minutes and seconds in a day; the challenge is in the management of those increments. It's always about priorities and it's time to make the important ones, important.

No comments: