Monday, October 17, 2011

Goodbye Sunday, Hello Monday

It's funny how Sunday is called a day of rest. Since Dave was called as YM President, his Sundays have been jam-packed. Yesterday was no exception with things planned from morning to night. Here's a glimpse into our yesterday:

8:00am - Dave starts getting ready for the day
9:15 - PEC meeting
9:30 - Michelle & Benjamin prep for church
9:45 - Ward Council
10:55 - Michelle & Benjamin arrive for church and slip into the saved pew with daddy
11:00 - Church begins (Mill Creek building)
12:55pm - Duck out of Sunday School and snatch Benjamin from Nursery singing time
1:00 - Head to Beverly Park ward (Lynnwood Stake Center) - Benjamin conks out in his carseat en route
1:40 - Dave participates in the blessing of Aria Walchli, Chris & Tam's new addition
1:45 - Jump back into car and head back to Mill Creek building
2:10 - PPI with Bishop
3:00 - YM Presidency meeting at our house
4:00 - Priest Quorum meeting at Bishop's house
5:00 - Dinner with my family in Stanwood
5:50 - Actually arrive in Stanwood, because of meetings running long
7:45 - Hugs & kisses to Grandma & Grandpa, then head for home
Somewhere around 8:14/somewhere around north Everett - Benjamin conks out in his carseat for the 2nd time today
8:30 - Kiss and then gingerly place Benjamin into his crib, Sunday clothes still on
9:00 - Hot Fudge & Caramel Sundae Party while watching The X-Factor
9:10 - Dave & Michelle slumped on the couch, in an ice-cream-induced slumber

Even though the day was busy and hectic, I feel blessed that we were able to spend a lot of it together as a family. And, shockingly, I was able to take away some good lessons from church too. As I knelt to say my prayers, I gave thanks for those things.

Despite my best efforts, Monday morning came as swiftly as ever. The buzzing of the 5am alarm was so startling, my heart was beating out of my chest. After getting ready at a little less than warp speed, I packed my gym bag, computer bag, purse, lunch and Benjamin's bag, and then we all hopped in the car.

I managed to catch a bus, but with an especially bad traffic morning, buses were running really late. On the packed 532, with at least 20 people standing in the aisle, someone's bag continually pummelled my shoulder as I read my scriptures and caught up on Facebook. My friend Jeannie's FB status read , "Ugh, Monday - again!" I kind of chuckled & nodded until I read someone's comment: "Just be grateful you are alive and able to experience another beautiful day." It's all about perspective; while I was waxing fairly positive this morning, I desperately needed that shift.

Later, while eating an egg-white omelette, I caught up on a very long list from my Google feed reader. The Nie Nie Dialogues posted about a trip to New York and their interview with Glen Beck. If you have a moment, check it out. The interview made me happy to be a woman, happy in my own skin, happy to be alive; grateful for the Gospel, my faith, my family & friends, my body and my crazy, blessed life.

If that's not a great mindset for a Monday morning, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

wandering nana said...

It was like old times at church , well for 10 minutes. I can't believe all you had to do on Sunday. You need a day of rest for sure.