Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fear & Loathing

I know that many people enjoy going to the dentist... but I'm not one of them.  In fact, walking into the office and having that smell hit me makes my poor stomach turn violently.  It's not an enjoyable appointment, in the least - I'd rather see the OB/GYN any day!

Even though I'm an avid brusher and flosser, I'm still anxious when I get seated in THE CHAIR and await the verdict.  Typically, it is OK - even though I am diligent in my dental hygiene.  Usually, at the end of the appointment, the hygienist hands me the new toothbrush & package of floss, with strict instructions to use both regularly.

However, last month's check-up wasn't great.  Due to the pregnancy, I'm experiencing swollen and bleeding gums which has been anything but fun... although, if that's the worst symptom I experience during this pregnancy, I figure I am pretty lucky.  The hygienist made notes as she poked and prodded at my red, irritated gums; I'm sure she doubted that I ever owned a toothbrush due to the miserable shape of those babies. 

Anyway, yet another other fun thing they discovered at this appointment - I need to have my four remaining wisdom teeth yanked.  Yes, that's right - four.  Apparently, I am a freak of dental nature as I was blessed with six, two of which were pulled when I was in high school; whenever I have a new dentist, they've "oohed" and "aahed" over my intriguing dental films. Fortunately, we're going to wait to pull those until after the baby is born.  

But, I also have a cavity.  This means that I head back to the dental office today for another round of fun times: bring on the anxiety, the smells, the sounds of drills and a hefty dose of novocaine.  

I'm trying to be strong, but please wish me luck because I'll need it!

8 comments:

tearese said...

Aw, thats too bad! I haven't had a cavity since probably high school or earlier, though everytime I go to the dentist its because I think I have a cavity. I just have sensitive teeth.
I think I may have had six wisdom teeth too; I remember them pulling the four that were starting to emerge, and they also opened up my gums and removed several buds that hadn't grown yet. That was when I was 20. Good luck with that!

Grossarths said...

Oh, I echo everything you said! Growing up I never had a cavity and going to the dentist was a breeze, but it seems like the past few times I've been have been a night mare. Good luck today. I hope it isn't too painfull afterward since all us pregnant women can take is tylenol!

wandering nana said...

I really hate the dentist.. it helped in SLC that our dentist was a good friend (went to college together) so he would crack jokes the whole time. You and the Mr need to go together. He has 2 wisdom teeth the dentist wants pulled but he had to go to a specialist! When I was in college my old dentist pulled mine plus dug for the other 2... lots of fun. Take lots of deep breaths.

Tawnya said...

Are you serious? Six wisdom teeth? I am so sorry. I echo your feelings, especially about going to the dentist when pregnant. I am due for my yearly check up but I am putting it off until after the baby comes because the thought of them putting their hands in my mouth right now makes me want to throw up. And they were so rude when I went when I was pregnant with Jaxson. They too must have thought I never brushed or flossed. Meanies!

Mindy Hales said...

How awful! Even though I LOVE the dentist, I didn't like them sticking their hands in my mouth when I was pregnant. But I am wondering to myself which is worse, being pregnant in the chair and wanting to throw up, or being the dental assistant working on someone who is afraid to be there and wanting to throw up on them...

angelalois said...

yuck. yuck yuck yuck. poor chelle!

Chelle said...

Just for the record - it was worse than I thought it would be!

My very small cavity became a bigger issue when it seeped under another. So... they gave me numerous shots of novocaine (including a couple in the roof of my mouth where it was not numb), inserted a horrid dental dam that had me drooling on myself, pulled out the old filling (I was not informed of this until after the job was done), drilled for what seemed like hours, and even managed to install the dental dam incorrrectly because I had a constant stream of water and dental ooze sliming my neck, back and shirt.

Oh, and I was on my back for over an hour which made me panic about cutting off blood supply to the baby as I was starting to loose feeling in my legs and feet. It was just a lovely experience.

And dentist's wonder why people don't like them.

SaraRobinson said...

I am so sorry! I had my wisdom teach pulled after I had Emma...it was easier to have the baby, at least I got something good out of it! Although while that is still true, I have to say I never realized the pain I was in until months afterward and I am still amazed I put up with it for so long. It's not the worst and not the best, but you'll get good drugs and lots of smoothies and shakes :) I wish I could be there to do nice things for you!