Last night I got home from work a little later than usual. I asked Dave what sounded good for dinner and he simply replied, "Something light and quick". Spending the last five days in UT meant that our pantry was pretty bare. However, I sifted through cans and boxes and this is what I threw together... which coincidentally fit well with the whole Cinco de Mayo theme for Tuesday.
Spanish Rice and Chicken Wraps
1 box of Rice-a-Roni Whole-Grain spanish rice mix (or another brand, or your own homemade version which is probably much better!)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes with onions and peppers
3-5 frozen chicken tenders
½ can – black beans (drained and rinsed)
½ can – white corn (drained and rinsed)**
1 ½ c water
1 T olive oil
Mix together in a 2 quart pot. After it comes to a rolling boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 24-26 minutes. Mix again and cut up the chicken (it will easily shred with a fork).
I served the hearty mixture with:
- Flat-Out whole-grain wraps
- Monterey jack and cheddar cheeses, shredded
- Low-fat sour cream
It was spicy and loaded with a variety of good flavors, not to mention tons of fiber, protein and healthy fats.
**Rather than cooking the corn with the entire mixture, I mix it in right before serving so it does not get mushy.
2 comments:
that sounds delicious right now. But then, Joseph is still making dinner and I'm STARVING.
What a great recipe. I recently decided to give up eating sugar, and so this recipe is great. Even down to the wholegrain wraps.
Post a Comment