Friday, May 01, 2009

Friday's Top 10 List: Favorite Utah Eateries

I’ve come to the realization that it is entirely possible I will return from our Utah trip 50 pounds heavier.

Not that I want to… I really don’t want to.

But – there is something about the tantalizing food options down there. Perhaps it’s because a lot of people in Utah don’t drink or smoke, so they need another vice – in the form of addictive, mouth-watering restaurants.

Utah is a mecca for a wide variety of restaurants, ranging from run-of-the-mill Mexican fare to exotic dishes from Brazil and Mongolia. It’s a dieter’s worst nightmare and a pregnant woman’s dream come true!

With that, I present MY favorite places to eat in Utah… hopefully I won’t hit all of them while I’m there.  Oh, and I’m sure your list is different – please share, in case I’m missing out on some amazing, hole-in-the wall treats!

Favorite Food Places in UT

  1. Café Rio – I’ve only been here once but the taco salad I got was chocked full of sizzling chicken, flavorful salsa, crunchy greens and tons of cilantro. It was love at first bite!
  2. The Pie – Deep-dish, Chicago-style pizzas and live music made this a college hot spot (I’d heard it is no longer open, which is quite sad).
  3. Hires – Hires root beer and juicy burgers are meant for each other.
  4. Nielsen’s Custard – The Concrete: the DQ Blizzard on some serious steroids.
  5. Hogi Yogi – Similar to Coldstone, but the base flavors (fat-free yogurt) are thrown into a machine with all of your mix-ins… and they come out in a beautifully-mixed swirl.
  6. The Training Table – It’s not their burgers or sandwiches that make this a favorite. Pure and simple, it's the cheese fries with fry sauce. Oh my.
  7. Granny’s – Liquid gold in the form of thick milkshakey goodness.
  8. Los Hermanos – I don’t remember eating anything here I didn’t like. The Diablo Rojo (blackberry/strawberry icy drink) was definitely a favorite.
  9. Brick Oven – Love the brick oven-baked pizza, the colorful salad bar and the silky chocolate-mousse pie with hot-fudge sauce, whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles.
  10. Tucanos – Ate here once. Meat served on a sword sounds menacing rather than appetizing, but the Brazilian-style grilled meats had a lot of flavor and just seemed to melt in your mouth.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find something good to eat!

8 comments:

Grossarths said...

Stop you're making my hungry, and I just ate! Five Guys is also good. Its more fast food,but you get TONS of fries. Ummm, I can't think of any more at the moment. I think you listed them all. It makes me realize how much I eat when I go to Utah! Have lots of fun there.

Ann said...

The Pie is no longer open? That is sad. I used to work right across the street from Hires downtown...at the cute flower shop. I miss Hires. Have fun!

Anne said...

Mmmmm..Cafe Rio is slightly addicting. BTW, I just called The Pie and they are soooo still opened. Thank goodness.

Sarah and James Wagner said...

Yumm Cafe Rio!! Sounds amazing!! I need to make that salad again!! But it costs me almost 50$ to make it!!!

Sarah and James Wagner said...

Oh and wingers!! They did open one up in Tacoma.....

tearese said...

thats funny, because I'm always complaining about missing the variety of food available in WA!

Shera said...

So many good memories of eating in Utah with you!!

wandering nana said...

Actually the Pie is open and it is in Sandy off of 7200 south and 1300 East (any way it was 2 years ago. I really miss the food in Utah. I have a recipe for the green sauce that Cafe Rio does.