I like to think that I'm a relatively intelligent person... but last night I was not feeling anything close to smart.
After realizing that we have 79 days until the due date, I started researching the uncharted territory of baby things as I began building our registry. However, as I stared at all of the categories (and subcategories), I became more than a bit overwhelmed.
Case-in-point: How do you know what the best carseat is; namely, which one is going to keep the baby safe?
When I typed in carseat, pages and pages appeared, filled with fancy-looking, multi-colored carseats, infant carriers, convertibles seats, boosters, etc. I think we need an infant seat to start off, but someone told me a convertible model was the way to go. When I started reading reviews, some expressed devotion for this "must-have" model while others say it was the worst purchase for their little tyke. Do you stick with brand recognition, a friend's opinion, customer reviews, or the cost?
Anyone willing to share the secret to making these huge decisions? Or is it just a matter of "trial & error"?
6 comments:
Unfortunetely, we have found that alot of it is a matter of trial and error. Every family is so different so it really depends on your needs. Some people like to get the smallest infant carseat so that it isn't as heavy and they can carry it in and out of the house and car. The downside of that is you have to get a new carseat by the time the baby is 20-25 pounds. Depending on the baby that could be anywhere from 6 to 18 months old. You could go with a bigger infant carseat that can carry up to 30-35 pounds and you can still carry it in and out of the car and house. Or you could do a convertable. The downside would be if you have another baby before your first one has outgrown the convertable carseat, then you'll just end up buying another carseat. But carseats do expire I believe after 6 years so thats something else to think about. Sorry this is so long. I know how hard it is to pick out stuff you have no idea about. We are still having a hard time on the second time around! Good luck.
It does kind of seem like a waste to get an infant one, but I think if you're planning on having more than one kiddo, you will definitely want to get one. You'll get more use out of it that way and it will be ready for the next baby because #1 will have grown out of it by that time. Plus it's really nice to be able to transport sleepy infants in the carseat or do grocery shopping without having to move your little one. If you are trying to decide on a brand I would check with consumer reports. My mom has an online subscription (I can email you her user name and password if you want). They usually have some good reviews/information.
When I was pregnant with Ella, people often advised me that I didn't need much of the infant gear offered. But it's hard to bypass the stuff when you're registering (and when someone might purchase it for you). Now I think it's true. My biggest recommendations: forget the high chair. The chair that straps onto your kitchen chair is so much less expensive, a space saver, and portable. Plus, you can use it as a booster later. I like the infant carrier seat (mine goes to 30 lbs) and left Ella in it until she was 1. I wish I had advice about the next size up, but it is so confusing! We have a fancy one b/c we had a mid-priced one that had the foam break off on it's own, but lots of our friends have basic walmart ones. I do think that the car seat/stroller "system" is great. I also recommend a swing (both babies have used ours), a baby bjorn (get one used on ebay), a bath toy organizer, a bouncy seat (simple one is fine), an exersaucer, a foam bath bear, and one of those mats baby can lie on with the hanging toys. Wow! Long post, but those are the things I've found really helpful. The other stuff is just extras (and fun to have too).
I have to agree wit Mindy on the whole car seat stroller combo...a must have and we got a cheap one for around $100 and it was great for both kids. One HUGE thing to remember...light colored fabric. Ours was navy blue :) and it got HOT! I recommend it because you will carry the baby in the car seat...at church, at the store, at the doctor. Also...I TOTALLY agree on the high chair thing, don't bother. You can use the infant car seat if you have to at first (the handle will go back to make it steady on the floor) and the one that attaches to a chair will be used for years to come. Plus it makes baby happy to be a part of mealtime:) Isn't it exciting!! Good luck!
We're another family that never bought a high chair. Some of it is trial and error. We ended up with an infant carrier plus later got an extra base for my mom's car since she was babysitting Janaya. Then two of the same convertible carseats, one for each car and then when I stopped working and had two kids it was nice had matching ones.
One thing I wish I had thought of when I picked out the carseats is that no kid is going to be willing to sit in something that looks like a carseat when they are 40 lbs or so. We ended up buying the inexpensive booster seats and only use the convertible for long road trips so they can sleep better.
I felt the same way when I was registering for gifts. It was very overwhelming. So a friend of mine was kind enough to send me a list of things to register that she felt were must-have's. It really helped. I actually took the list with me and went down it and registered for most everything she suggested.
About the carseat though, so we actually got ours from a friend who's daughter had outgrown it. It is a Peg Perego and it was an infant carrier, base, and stroller. So the carseat would click into the stroller.
I guess Peg Perego's are like the Mercedez of brands. I didn't see what was so special about it though.
I did have a couple of complaints about the carseat though, which for when we finally get around to having baby #2, we will find a carseat that doesn't have these issues.
but they were:
1 - the handle bar was not very ergonomic for carrying. I know that they make carseats now where the handlebar has a cushy little spot for your hand and is angled in a way that doesn't hurt your wrist. GET ONE LIKE THAT if you find one. You won't regret it. I always dreaded carrying Preston around in the carseat because I knew my arms and wrists would be killing me.
2 - our carseat was freaking HEAVY. maybe that made it safer? I have no clue. But it was definitely a lot heavier than other peoples carseats and after you give birth, it is going to take a few weeks to get your full strength back. Carrying an infant in a heavy carseat around by yourself is not really fun. So next time we're going to try and find a lighterweight one. oh, and I might add the weight factor really starts adding up as your baby starts putting on the pounds and they are still little enough where they sleep everywhere you go so you have to carry them in the carseat.
That's about it. Those are the two things that I am going to pay attention to the next time.
Oh, one more thing though that our carseat didn't have that I thought would be really nice. My friend's baby carrier (carseat) had a little piece of material that came up and over the baby's feet to keep them warm. I thought that was a great feature since we were always having to wrap blankets around Preston and his toes would eventually find their way out and get cold.
Post a Comment