Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday's Top 20 List: Stuff Mormons Like

A while back, I came across a blog called "Stuff White People Like."  It's fairly humorous and the author was given a book deal.  Shortly thereafter, I came across a bunch of copycats, such as "Stuff Mormons Like" or "What Mormons Like" - which pinpoint funny sides of our "peculiar" LDS culture.  I listed 20 from various sites; some are funny and right on, others are just funny.
  1. Obscure card/board games 
  2. Potlucks
  3. Jon & Kate Plus 8 
  4. Wedding invitations with pictures
  5. Unique baby names 
  6. Talent shows
  7. Vinyl lettering
  8. Funeral potatoes
  9. Family photos with matching outfits
  10. Glenn Beck
  11. Ice cream
  12. Creative marriage proposals
  13. "The Princess Bride"
  14. Pseudo swear words - think "oh my heck"
  15. Seven-layer dip
  16. Scrapbooking
  17. American Idol (especially Brooke White & David Archuleta)
  18. Multi-level marketing
  19. Trunk R' Treat
  20. Twilight
Are these just broad stereotypes - or are they right on?  And if they are not right on, what is?  Some that came to mind: family reunions, ballroom dancing, minivans, creative dating, BYU football, LDS celebrities/athletes, Jell-O, cutesy Homemaking project/home decor, etc.

So, what do you think?  Please discuss.

3 comments:

tearese said...

I read lists like this and think, "That is so true!" But then I realize I'm thinking of other people, not myself. In fact for myself, not even half of it is true...which makes one wonder if that is correct for most people, you know, projecting our own stereotypes onto our neighbors and friends while thinking they don't have to apply to us.

Kaycie's Korner said...

That's hillarious!! I love it!!

angelalois said...

I totally think the list is right. Mormon culture is seriously in its own universe sometimes. I also LOVE Stuff White People Like! The author is a great writer.