Now that I have finally loaded our Utah pictures onto the computer, I thought it was high time to do a little show-and-tell of our jam-packed weekend of adventures.
WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY CONVOCATION - FRIDAY
Prior to attending the graduation, Dave had to do some work beforewe met up at Susan's office in SLC. We were able to visit with her boss, President (Keith) Garner, who is a fascinating & hilarious man that Dave has known for quite some time. He took us all to lunch at the Red Rock Brewing Company. While we ate (I had a dish of lasanga that was absolutely divine), we had a lively conversation with Susan and the former president of Temple Square.
That afternoon, we attended David's (my brother) graduation from the Construction Management program at Weber State in Ogden. While commencement exercises are not terribly thrilling, David is the second person in my family to graduate from college, so it was awesome to be there and support his achievements.
At left is a picture of his family: David; his wife, Rachel; his oldest son, Rhees (3); and the new addition, Parker (2 mo). Rachel's parents and sister were able to attend because they live close-by in Layton. In addition to Dave & I, my parents and my youngest brother, Brent, were also able to be there to show their support.
Later that day, we headed back for a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Bountiful with Dave's Aunt Susan. Shortly thereafter, we met up at Nielsen's Frozen Custard with one of Dave's BYU friends, Jessie, and her husband. I had vanilla custard with hot fudge and it was as scrumptious as I remember from my BYU days. Earlier, Dave mentioned that Jessie was a big fan of card games so we might do that after dessert. I told him if they suggest that, I would totally fake going into labor (even though I was only about 5 1/2 months pregnant at the time).
As a quick aside, I have huge issues with card games, namely I am horrible at them and thus, I hate playing them. BYU scarred me; no matter what the game, I could not hide the fact that I was not good or very strategic so I was the constant target for complete annihilation. For that reason, I don't play them and usually stick to trivia and word games... which are much more my forte.
As luck would have it, we were sitting outside eating our custard when some ominous clouds suddenly burst and the rain came down. Nearly on queue, Jessie asked, "Well, do you want to go play some cards at our place"? I didn't even need to look at Dave - I could just tell he was laughing hysterically on the inside as he exclaimed, "Yes, of course"! As we got in the car, he smirked as he said, "I was just waiting for your Oscar-award winning performance"!
A large pit started to form in my stomach and memories of those horrid face card games came back with utter clarity. But, I decided to bite the bullet - it was only one night. I think the game was called Nines (or maybe not); it didn't matter, I'd never heard of it so I just gave up any hope of having a clue of what I was doing. Two hours later, as we finished the last round, I was happy that I had stuck it out. This particular game was not too bad - in fact, I won. Not that I'm gloating - I was just relieved not to have another horrible experience to add to my list of war wounds.
A DAY IN SLC - SATURDAY
On Saturday, we told Susan the day was hers; she was in charge of finding something fun for us all to do together. Susan "claims" that she's just not fun, but I don't buy it for one second. In the end, she chose a trip to SLC. We went to the Joseph Smith Building where we watched the Joseph Smith Restoration movie, which was wonderful. Afterwards, we headed up to the 10th floor for lunch at the Garden Restaurant. The food did not disappoint and the view from the restaurant was amazing. I snapped a quick picture of the temple and then Susan took a picture of us as well.
That evening, we were invited to dinner by another of Dave's BYU friends, who lives down in Spanish Fork. The drive down there made me pretty nostalgic for college life, with memories of Hart's, hiking the Y and Utah Lake - all of which we saw as we drove down I-15. We arrived a bit early, so we helped Julianna and her boyfriend make a green salad and a fruit salad as we waited for the Luau Chicken to cook. Dinner was wonderful and we talked for nearly 4 hours before we realized how late it was and the long drive we had ahead of us.
LAYTON HILLS WARD - SUNDAY
While it was fun to be there for graduation and to visit old friends, the main reason we came to UT was to participate in Parker's blessing, which David and Rachel had kindly postponed so that both events could occur while our family was down there. It was fun to attend their ward and David did an excellent job bestowing the sweet blessing on his little boy. Rachel's family invited us back to their house for a barbecue, which was a nice way to round out the weekend.
The best surprise of the weekend was Rachel's kind offering of an enormous garbage bag filled with maternity clothes. While transporting them in our packed car was a bit of a challenge (especially for Brent, who had to sit with them), it was worth it as I suddenly have an entire new wardrobe of super cute clothes... that fit!!
5 comments:
Hand-me-down/borrowed maternity clothes are such a god-send! A good friend of mine shipped me a huge box of maternity clothes when I was about 6 or 7 month prego and it was just like you said - a whole lot of new options of things to wear. Cuz you have to admit, it gets very boring wearing the same clothes over and over again when you are pregnant.
I have to say I love that dress that your sis-in-law, Rachel, is wearing in that picture of her family. Simply adorable. It is a good indication that the clothes you got are pretty cute too i would assume! :)
And...I hate cards too. I hate playing games actually. LOL Will teases me all the time. I can't help it.I'd rather sit there and talk to people, instead of games. But his family is HUGE into playing games, so I often get suckered in. :)
My friend Kelly sent me some maternity clothes to borrow this time around and I was so grateful! It makes an enormous difference, especially b/c maternity clothes can break the bank.
Hey Friend,
I've loved catching up on you. I am so glad you had a great trip to UT. congrats to david! (on graduation and a second beautiful baby boy!)
I miss you. I've been thinking of you. We'll catch up for real soon. Love you!
My sister went to Weber. Looks like it was a fun trip!
That's awesome that you got a bunch of "new" maternity clothes. I hated spending any money on those things and tried to get away with as little as possible.
I love reading your blog. You are such a wonderful writer - really!! Your descriptions of events make every little detail interesting and fun to read.
Post a Comment