Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Naming Game

OK, folks - it's time to get serious!

We are back from our Utah trip - a little tired, seriously damp (from all that UT rain) and we are not any closer to picking a name for the baby. We're about to hit the 100-day countdown mark and I'm just a tad concerned.

My sister-in-law, Rachel, shared a great idea for our naming quandary. She teaches at an elementary school (3rd grade, I think) in Layton. Since she started working there, she has been pregnant twice. To include her students in this exciting adventure, she told them that they could help name the baby by submitting their ideas in a "Name Suggestion Jar".

She said that during the first pregnancy the kids provided a wide array of names, courtesy of popular Disney movies. Because she already knew what they would name Baby Boy #2, the second round became a "Nickname Suggestion Jar"; I can hardly imagine what hilarious gems that round produced!

For fun, and because we are in desperate need of some great name ideas, I propose a little challenge: the "Virtual Name Suggestion Jar" contest. The rules are super easy - simply submit your idea/s in a comment below... and wait... and that's it! The winner will not be based on whether or not we choose the name, but simply by random selection; a delightful care package will be delivered to the lucky winner.

Time to put on those baby-naming thinking caps! Contest ends on Friday, May 15th!

12 comments:

Mindy said...

I'll pass on some names that I liked, but Tim wasn't crazy about, or we simply decided against (and save the ones I might be able to convince him of in the future):
Caleb
Cavin (or Cavinaugh)
Eli
Elijah
Topher
Xander

Good luck!

Whimsy said...

Let's see...

Drew
Dylan
Owen
Aiden
Ian

and a name I LOVE but Chip would never agree to and probably neither would YOU or Dave: Angus. Love it. It was my grandfather's name.

Michelle said...

When we were thinking about names I liked the name Spencer. Maybe because I had just finished reading Miracle of Forgiveness, great book. I also liked the name Connor, Ethan, and Evan. :)

Grossarths said...

I love Zachary, with Zach as short. Unfotunetely Kevin knew someone by that name who must have not been the greatest guy, so obviously we didn't name our son that.
I also love Wyatt and Carson. Good luck!

Shera said...

I am kind of out of boy names! A few I considered for my own boys were:
Max
Thomas
Andrew
It's hard with a last name like mine, too many funny options....And don't forget to look at the initials. You don't want to spell something accidentally.

wandering nana said...

Here goes,

Thomas
Hayden
Carson
Adam
Benjamin
Henry
Ty

Toph said...

So there are a ton of great names, but some don't sound good with the last name Goodwin. These are the names Allison and I narrowed down:

Troy
Anthony
James (but I would call him Jimmy)
Charles or Chuck (Charles sound almost like royalty)
Andy

tearese said...

Everyone on my blog really liked Jude, but we're probably not going to use it. I also like Cole (but its the name of a boy here. I kind of like Toby and Liam too. Joseph hates them.

SaraRobinson said...

Noah, Jacob, Johnathan (or however you spell it), William...but with your last name I would go with Noah or Jake (it was supposed to be mine but alas it was not meant to be). Good luck with picking the name...I was reading The Work and the Glory...hence Emma :)

Frank and Julie said...

How about:
Tavin
Tucker
Trent
Samuel

angelalois said...

OK I'll just leave you our RULES so you can decide for yourself if you want to follow them: 1) no exboyfriends or kissing partners of "mom's." Just off limits. 2) the name has to be 100% BOY. If you know a GIRL named that name, then it's a no go. This was actually really tough. Think Brook, Cameron, Quinn, Taylor... all cute names that could be girls. They were out for us. 3) It can't be TOO common. Several names are SO SO SO HOT right now that 100 boys in your son's elementary school class will be named that. We actually had our final two, and Wesley was lower on ssa.gov's popular baby name chart so that was a big factor in choosing it. We really didn't want to make our decision on a "trend." (check ssa.gov, it rocks!) 4) make sure, ahead of time, you're not naming your kid after anyone. Ask AmyLynn about this. We actually googled our potential names and you'd be surprised. We were maybe going to name our kid after a motocross racer or a guy who once ran for president. Whoa!

I think that's it. Good luck. It's immense pressure. Remember you'll be saying this name for the rest of your life!!!

Jenni said...

Oh gosh....well considering that it took us since even before we were married to even remotely agree on any boy names, I am afraid I am not help. LOL. Seriously, we just barely were able to think of "Preston" before he was born. I have a LONG list of girl names, but boy names? They are so hard! You want to make sure it's masculine enough so he won't get teased, or make sure it's not a name that could be a girl's name as well, or be shortened into something funny that other kids would make fun of.

It really is a hard thing to think of boy names.

But something that helped us, we started looking up our family history and finding names that way. It was cool because they have meaning. Preston came from us finding that the origins of my family came from Preston, England. One night we spent almost 3 hours on familysearch.org looking up tons of info...which led to google searchs on Preston, England...which led to many other fascinating things. That is when we knew we had to name him Preston. It was perfect. Plus you can't really shorten it.

I did have a few boy names though that I personally liked, but Will did not. Here they are:

Ryan
Owen
Brock
Quinton
Lincoln
Hayden (although that one has become more of a girl name lately thanks to that actress Hayden Penetierre or whatever her name is)

Good luck!