Monday, January 11, 2010

Tomato Leek Tart

While staying with Dave's parents, I had the privilege to "play" in my mother-in-law's beautiful gourmet kitchen. She orders organic fruits & veggies from Klesick Family Farms too; as noted previously, they sometimes throw quirky produce into their delivery boxes.

One of those little gems that arrived in her box was a leek, which none of us had really used in our cooking. So, one day I asked if I could experiment with it; initially, I thought I'd make a potato leek soup, but then I started doing the google thing. Thus, we discovered the fabulous Tomato Leek Tart. It's a vegetarian pizza-like pastry... and was quite good too!

BEFORE BAKING:

AFTER BAKING:

INGREDIENTS:
1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
1 pound leeks, white portion only, sliced
6 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place both pastry sheets on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle each with provolone cheese, leaving 1 in. around edges. Arrange leeks and tomato slices over provolone cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper. Top with mozzarella cheese. Fold edges over filling.
2.Bake at 425 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until crusts are lightly browned. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Umm....you're amazing. Just whipping that up!

Frank and Julie said...

I'd love to try that recipe. It looks so incredibly delicious!
Way to go Master Chef!