Monday, September 07, 2009

No Rest for the Weary

Colic has been a frequent house quest this past week... and an unwelcome one, at that.

On Friday night, my sweet in-laws took pity on two very sleep-deprived parents.  They kindly offered to watch little Benjamin so that we could go out for a much-needed date night.  Perhaps we could catch a movie?  Or take a walk on Olympic Beach?  It wouldn't take much for us - just a little time away would be great!  

So, we quickly drove down to Edmonds, devoured some fabulous pizza with them, fed the Boy and then promptly passed out for over two hours in one of the guest bedrooms.  And yes, it was the best date night ever.

However, Friday night would prove to be a challenge after we left the blissful, magical place called Grandparent Land.  We came home with a few hours of sleep under our belts, with grand illusions of more on the way.  After a cycle of feeding, burping, changing the diaper and doing a variety of baby, gas-relieving calisthenics (and repeating the cycle a few times), we coaxed our fussy angel to sleep and put him down for the night.  As we drowsily crawled into bed, Dave turned to me and said, "If that kid wakes up in the next five minutes, I'm jumping out the window."  I chuckled, shook my head and then buried it in the soft pillow.  And, as if on cue, the gas-pained shrieking commenced less than a minute later.  I quickly whisked the Boy downstairs in hopes that Dave would not make good on his promise. 

The two hours of sleep I got earlier was great, but as the hours and minutes ticked by, I realized that battling with a fussy baby was driving me to the brink.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but there was one point (around 4:49am) when I had a fleeting thought involving duct tape and a pacifier. Fortunately, around 6am (and 7 hours of battling with a 3-week old, colicky baby), the Boy finally gave up to fatigue and I crashed right next to him on our living room floor.  It was Benjamin's first slumber party!   

Here is how Dave found us in the morning:

8 comments:

Harmony said...

AUGH! Colic!

Even the thought of those nights gives me shivers. Everyone says it, but at least it's not forever (although at 4 in the morning, it sure seems that way!)

I love that Dave thought to take a picture of your two passed out on the floor. Good luck!

SaraRobinson said...

Good luck with all that and try (I know it's super hard) to enjoy those late nights...you'll miss them when he's older. REALLY.

Grossarths said...

Oh the joys of colic and no sleep! I hope it gets better soon!

Whimsy said...

DUDE! Yikes.

Have you tried Mylicon? It's stuff you can give the baby to help with the gasiness... my brother and SIL's little girl has really painful gas and they give her the Mylicon all the time. Works like a charm.

Tiffany said...

oh sweetie, sound so hard. Hope things get better soon.

Shera said...

Do you remember when you stayed with us for Adrianna's wedding and Elizabeth screamed and screamed? Augh! I feel for you. Hang in there. I wish I could hold him in the night for a while for you.

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry :( I hated to read about this...because unfortunately I know first hand what it is like and it brought back some terrible memories LOL!

Preston was "cholic-y" until he was about 4 months old. At the time, I knew that he was a fussy baby, not sleeping well during the night andI was incredibly sleep deprived, but honestly didn't know what to compare it to since he was our first, ya know? But other people who saw what we were going through would often tell us he had cholic. So there you have it. :p

Anyway, I don't know if you guys have a swing, but that was a life saver for us. I know it's probably against all those baby books or whatever, but when you're desperate who cares. preston slept in the swing every night until he was about 5 months old. It really did help.

Anyway, hang in there...it does get better I promise.

Heidi said...

Oh, I hate those sleepless nights dealing with a crying/fussy baby. I wanted to run away. It was so HARD!!! I hope it gets better soon. I'm glad he is packing on the pounds and eating away.