Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Case of the Mondays

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays"? 
Lawrence: No. No, man.

My great excuse for not posting sooner is that I returned to work this week.

And, yeah, I think it's a great excuse.  After 5 weeks of leave, 5am on Monday morning came swiftly and painfully.

In some ways, it was fun to be back in the swing of things, as I caught up on email, attended meetings, sorted medical journals, chatted with the my regular doctors/library patrons, returned voicemail messages, and filled research requests.

It was weird, yet kind of nice to take off my "mommy" hat and replace it with the "librarian" one.  No spit-up on my shoulder or smelly diapers in the garbage.  Although, on Tuesday, I took Benjamin to work with me so I got to wear both at once and let me tell you that was fun and completely insane all at once.

In one BIG way, going back to work was excruciatingly hard - and that was when I handed the little guy off to my mother-in-law in the wee hours of that dark Monday morning.  However, I must say that handing him off to her was so much easier than entrusting his care to a complete stranger at a daycare.  I feel extremely fortunate that Dave's mom is willing to sacrifice so much of her time to take care of Benjamin.  I know she enjoys her time with all of the grandkids, but she is also a very busy person.  In my book, she's an amazing woman... and we will be indebted to her forever for taking such good care of our baby.

Anyway, wish me luck as I begin Week 2.  It's sure to get easier, right?

3 comments:

Tamara said...

As a working mother I know how you feel. It was hard to leave my little guy when I first went back to work. I wish I could be with him all the time, but rest assured...Benjamin will always know who his "mommy" is even if you aren't with him 24/7.

tearese said...

I worked part time when Elora was a baby. It was such a hard decision, but we had some great babysitters in our ward. Also, I found that working a few days a week made me have a better attitude at home when I came back to the baby...and I liked her better!

Jenni said...

That has got to be so hard...kudos for you for making it through week 1. Your mother-in-law is so great to help you guys out too.