And thus began the grand adventure of Benjamin in the Big City.
Because it was a bit chilly this morning, we pulled out the carseat cover that created a cozy cave for the baby. After dropping Dave off at his appointment, we headed out onto the busy streets of Seattle and straight for one of my favorite places - SPL's Central Library.
I love this library. It was completed during my stint in library school so it holds a particular fascination for me. I took a class from Seattle's city librarian (Deborah Jacobs) where I learned all about the eccentric architectural designs that Rem Koolhaas created; it is a wacky, yet whimsical building filled with bright red elevators, garish fluorescent-yellow bathrooms, a continuous Book Spiral and an exterior shape that mimics a stack of books.
I couldn't think of a better place to burn some time! Plus, the walk from Pioneer Square would be a big calorie burner, especially while pushing Benjamin and his bag of goodies up all of those lovely hills.
When we got to the library's 4th Avenue entrance, I headed straight for the magical children's section. I absolutely love strolling through any library, but I especially adore the children's section and all of the cool stuff they have there.
The Central Library didn't disappoint - I was enchanted by the fantastic monster book display that is feeding off the popularity and hype of the upcoming movie, "Where the Wild Things Are". And, as luck would have it, we arrived just in time for the morning Toddler Program in their lime green Storytime Room. Even though Benjamin is not a toddler, Betsy the Librarian invited me to participate and it was awesome until Benjamin decided he was starving and could. not. wait. one. more. second!
I changed his diaper and then ran into an old grad student friend, who let me feed Benjamin in the staff lounge, far away from the hordes of homeless folks loitering in the main lobby. It was fun to chat with her while Benjamin chowed down his second breakfast. And shortly thereafter, Dave called to meet up with me so I had to cut the library visit short.
So, although our time was short at the library, it was such a fun morning!
9 comments:
Yay for library visits! That's awesome!
Chelle, it looks as though you are doing fantastic! I think of you often, even though I neglect to let you know. Benjamin is so darn cute and it makes me smile to read of his growing and changing! I know this is not an easy time, but it is magical in it's own way. I love you tons! We'll be in touch more personally soon.--that's a promise!
Hmm I want to go to that library now. I've only been there once, in the downstairs conference room for a meeting with Pandora's president/ceo, but didn't have time to explore the rest of the building. That is nice that you ran into old "friends"!
P.S. Little Benjamin is a cutie.
What a big boy he is!! How cute!
Ahh, Michelle! I haven't seen him with his eyes opened yet! He looks soo much like Dave! He is soo darn CUTE!! Sounds like a super fun fabulous adventure down in Seattle! He's a lucky little dude to have such cool parents!!
I have a great Halloween book I think he would enjoy. He is so cute. I love his little cooing sounds.
I wish I could have gone to the library with you. We go every week here, but it's nothing like that library. We have a brother in law applying for a job in Seattle and I hope he gets it just so I can come visit you.
I always thought that place looked cool from the outside; I've never been inside it though. Lucky you knew someone to use their office!
Post a Comment