Monday, September 28, 2009

Glimpses of Joy

JOY
[joi]
–noun
1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.
2. a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated.
3. the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4. a state of happiness or felicity.

Last week, as stated in my last entry, was a bit of a challenge. Generally, I try to be an optimistic person and I make every effort not to embrace negative thoughts - and especially not blog about them. But sometimes life gives you a swift kick in the backside and you temporarily forget those most valiant efforts. And the result? You sound whiny, downtrodden, and just plain bummed.

However, through any difficulties, I know that good moments can always be found. In hindsight, there were many moments that brought little glimpses of joy and made me so very happy to be alive.

  1. Exercise - I've been eagerly waiting for my doctor to release me to work out again. After nearly 6 weeks, and with the awesome support and urging of a great husband, I walked into the gym and greeted my old friend, the treadmill. After ramping up the speed and maxing out the incline, I grabbed my I-Pod, a magazine and got to work. Sweating never felt so darn good.

  2. The Boy - Benjamin started to smile last week. And, oh how it melts my heart.

  3. Church - I can't say that there was one particular moment, but attending the block this week encouraged, enlightened and inspired me to be better and savor the sweetness of the Gospel. Plus, I got to savor some sweet chocolate in Young Women's. Church basically rocked.

  4. Fruit - It's been the summer of fruit lovin'. I can't remember a year previously that I consumed and relished so much delicious fruit. Aromatic nectarines, tart (slightly-green) bananas, crisp apples, plump grapes and juicy plums have made their way into my breakfast cereal, salads, snacks and desserts. Last week's greatest new fruit treat? Kiwi berries. And the fact that they are so good for you, fuzz-free & bite-size all adds to the joy of these tasty morsels.

  5. Autumn - Dear, sweet season of Fall: I have been eagerly awaiting your arrival all year. And it could not come quickly enough this year, especially after enduring wretched stretches of 90 degree (and triple-digit) heat while 8 months pregnant. The changing leaves, crisp air and foggy mornings have been a welcome change from the dog days of summer.

4 comments:

Mindy Hales said...

Those are five things on my grateful for list as well, except my exercise consists of a pregnant-lady water aerobics class and thank goodness not a treadmill...I hate those things! I am glad that things are going well for you.

tearese said...

yay for autumn! I've never heard of eating kiwi berries, hum.

wandering nana said...

Where do you get the kiwi berries? They sound really good. Hey, if you want to go to the gym with Hubby, I would be happy to play with the little boy. "}

Jenni said...

Doesn't it feel great to get back into things that make you feel like a normal person again?

I was on a constant "exercise high" after I had Preston. I wasn't able to be that active towards the end of my pregnancy due to several things, and so when I was finally able to go out walking and exercising again I never felt so grateful for my body. Even with all of its extra pregnancy weight, I still was so grateful for the miracle of exericse. If you can call it that.