Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Countdown: Day 7 (The Last Appointment)

Today is my last appointment. La la la. For prenatal stuff, of course. At the clinic.

Today is the last time I will have to sit in the waiting room, hoping the nurse will call me in so that I can rush to the restroom... at the clinic.

Today is the last time I have to pee in a cup... at the clinic.

Today is the last time they will check to see if the head has moved into position... at the clinic (which, unless a miracle has occurred, the head is STILL cozied up in my right side, just beneath my chest).

Today is the last time that I will have my fundal height measured... at the clinic.

Today is the last time I have to jump on the scale for my nurse, who will jot down little, secret notes but doesn't share... at the clinic.

Oh, and there is this one little First:
Today is the first time I will see a new doctor... at the clinic. (The clinic arranges appointments with other doctors just in case my regular doc can't make it to my delivery, and one of her colleagues has to fill in. As it's a c-section now, that better not happen because I have serious reservations about anyone else slicing me open but Dr. S.)

I like noting these series of little "lasts". Not that they were terrible, or even a little bad. In fact, last week one of Dr. S's nurses discovered that we're both LDS, so we had a lovely interchange about that similarity (as in, "Are you?"... "Yeah, I am too!"... "Neat-o!"). No, the thing with the lasts is simply this: I'm just happy to not have them anymore.

It marks the beginning of the end.

Just another step closer to August 11th.

When the real fun begins.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I love the "last time the nurse jots down notes without me seeing" LOL. SO TRUE!

And I always wished my doctor or nurse was LDS...getting around the whole garment thing was hard sometimes. I had to explain to my doctor what they were when she teased me on a particular hot day that I was wearing way too meany layers. LOL