As all of you no doubt read, we finished all of our preparations and left for the hospital at about 10:45 am yesterday (I am not sure about the somewhat rested part--Michelle was in bed much earlier than I was--mostly my own fault) Anyway, upon arriving at the hospital, Michelle went straight to triage, where she had some tests done and an ultrasound taken, while I did my best sherpa impression and lugged all of our various bags up to the room where we would be staying.
We waited in triage for a while, but finally, at 1:45 pm, the doctor arrived and we made our way back into the OR. I donned some attractive while coveralls, and the nurse put a little cap over my baseball hat (I wanted to take off the baseball hat, but the nurse insisted that I just put the cap over it--so the pictures look a little funny, but honestly, that was the last thing on my mind at the time).
Upon entering the OR, there were a lot bright lights and Michelle was in the process of receiving a spinal block that would eventually numb her from the chest down. I quickly put my camera on a table in one corner of the OR so that it would be ready when I needed it as well as a newly purchased video camera, which kept me up way too late the night before as I quickly read and tried to figure out the numerous features that I am sure justified the wallet-lightening price.
As the surgery began, the doctor and nurses placed a shield between Michelle's head and her abdomen, so that we could not really see the "opening up" portion of the surgery. The anesthesiologist was near Michelle's head, with me and we tried to keep her as comfortable as possible, me by holding her hand, him by filling her full of Oxytocin. As little Benjamin was about to be born, the anesthesiologist took my video camera and recorded the delivery, while I comforted Michelle (read: hid behind the shield).
After the delivery, a nurse brought little Ben back to meet his parents and I promptly took the video camera and followed him all around the OR, as he was weighed, measured, cleaned, etc. Afterwards, Michelle, Ben and I posed for a couple of pictures (taken by the anesthesiologist) and then Michelle was taken up to our room and I carried little Ben close behind.
The rest of the day was full of many tests, some nursing (Ben is not the greatest eater in the world) and many family visitors (thank you all for coming).
Unfortunately, the night brought very little sleep for Michelle and I, although Ben did sleep somewhat between us waking him up to attempt to feed. He is getting better at eating, but most times it takes him awhile to figure out what he is doing.




18 comments:
Love the pictures! I've been checking your blog all day to see if any pictures were posted. :) Glad everyone is healthy!!! And I can't wait to see Mr. Benjamin soon!!
Congrats, that is so wonderful!
Love the blog entry Dave! Great job! So exciting!!! And love the name!
Congrats!!! I'm glad all went well and you guys are doing well.
Yay! Sweet pictures - many congratulations to your little family!
Congratulations! I'm happy all went well. Welcome to Earth, Little Ben.
Congratulations!! It sounds like it went really well and I'm so glad! Little Benjamin looks adorable!
Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!
Love the pictures - so glad you guys are all doing well.
Wonderful! I am glad you are all well! Little Benjamin will pick up.... from experience in c-sections, the drugs make him groggy too! Way to go! You make beautiful children! By the way, kudo to Dave for awesome account of the day, inspite of joining the ranks of the sleep deprived!
Great post Dad.... Glad all is well. Can't wait to see him. Congratulations.
congratulations! Were you at Providence! I thought the surgery room was exceedingly bright after the birth and delivery rooms. No baby nurses well at first, it takes a few weeks! You've got nursing books, right?
I liked the hospital here because they don't have triage, you just go straight to the room.
Love the baby name!
So excited for you both!! He is beautiful!!! Glad everything went smoothly!
Great post Dave! Michelle, hang in there with the breast feeding. I swear Trevor would get dumb when I put him to the breast like he had no idea what to do. Often I could be heard saying, "C'mon sweetheart, we just did this two hours ago!!!!"
That's awesome they did the video for you AND took pictures!! It sounds like it all went great! I am so happy for you, it seems like you were pregnant FOREVER!
We are so excited to meet little Benjamin. Glad everything went well. Congratulations!
he is absolutely adorable! Oh how I remembered the sleepless hospital nights. Congratulations you guys!!
Wow!!! I am so happy for you all. And I love that Benjamin is your first and my last! Congrats!
awesome story; thanks Dave for becoming a blogger! ;-)
Post a Comment