Friday, October 17, 2008

October Festivities: Part I

As the weekend approaches, I thought I'd share some of our recent activities - these include a wrap-up of last week's fun-filled, busy weekend.

On Friday, as I was running errands, I called our friends, the Wagners, for an impromptu get-together. Throughout the day, Sarah and I brainstormed ideas for the evening's festivities. As I was strolling into Central Market, the lightbulb went off - it's October... pumpkins... on sale! Yes, folks, it was the perfect night for some good times carving up those traditional orange orbs.

For dinner, I made a taco soup, a green salad and 100% whole-wheat rolls (that experience could be an entire post unto itself). Sarah & James brought some sparkling fruit juice and an assortment of cookies, which were wonderful! After the hearty meal, we cleared the table and prepared for the carving portion of the evening.

In the end, the Wagners delivered a traditional jack-o-lantern, with a bat and the words "Happy Halloween" carefully etched in the side of their pumpkin. We opted for an artsy-style creation: I free-handed my typical Happy Pumpkin Face while Dave went for the abstract - and tada - we have Picasso Pumpkin!

After carving up a storm, we hopped on the big, cozy couch and popped in an old favorite - "Ghostbusters". ("I ain't afraid of no ghost!" - come on, I know it's running through your head!) It was a festive way to cap off a fun night... even though Sarah and I both slept through most of the "scary" movie. Although, Dave will be happy to note that I did manage to wake up for the oft-quoted "Dogs & Cat Living Together" scene... and the rolling end credits. :)

On Saturday, Dave headed north to Anacortes for yet another scouting trip. The combined Beverly Park/Harbour Pointe program is always whisking the boys away to exciting adventures, and this trip was no exception. This particular excursion was a trip to Mount Erie, with sweeping vistas of the majestic Puget Sound and beautiful San Juan Islands, to complete their rock climbing merit badge. One of the parents snapped a zillion pictures for Dave so that he could give the boys pointers and assist in belaying the ambitious climbers. Someday, Dave said we will have to go back because the views of the San Juans were breathtaking... and the pictures just don't do the place justice.

On Sunday, we joined the rest of the Goodwin clan for Seth's baby blessing. After attending the Greenwood Ward's meeting block, we gathered together (including Jon's parents who came from California) for a huge family dinner - kudos to Julie for the wonderful Swiss steaks. And, no family gathering is complete without some good dessert; by request, I put together the well-loved Strawberry Yogurt Cake. It was a wonderful day, filled with good food, great memories and family fun.

3 comments:

Sarah and James Wagner said...

Thanks for having us over!!!It was a ton of fun!! Even though our pumpkin died already :(

Heidi said...

We used to be in the Greenwood Ward. You have family in that ward?!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Good job on the pumpkins! We have yet to carve one this year, but I think we are headed to the pumpkin farm on Sat. And thanks for making all the yummy cakes for our family get together's. We love you for it (and other reasons too)!