Last week, my Mia Maids planned an activity called "Individual Worth Bookmarks". Starting a few months ago, we were challenged to plan activities that coordinate with the month's young women value. The bookmarks were our contribution to that effort for September as we were focusing on Individual Worth.
In preparation, I cut 3"x 7" sheets of colorful cardstock and snagged a great laminator at Costco. The night of the activity, I laid the lime green, hot pink, neon yellow and aqua strips onto the table and the girls snatched them up quicker than kids scrambling for candy under a bursting piƱata. Each girl's name was written at the top of a sheet, which was then taped to the table. Playing red robin around the tables, each girl wrote anonymous notes and compliments on each sheet of paper.
When the fun and frivolity of flowery writing was finished, the girls switched to creative mode as they flipped their papers over and pasted on a paper punch shape with the message: "Individual Worth - I am of infinite worth with my own divine mission to fulfill". With scissors and paper flying, they meticulously individualized their bookmark with stamps, papers and cut-outs.
Because I forgot some tools from the laminator, I took all of the bookmarks home so that I could laminate, trim and punch holes. This past Sunday, I brought a huge bag of ribbons into Young Women's. The girls selected a length of ribbon that matched their bookmark and finished off the bookmarks by looping and tying the ribbon through the hole punch.
I haven't talked to everyone yet, but I think that the girls and leaders had a wonderful time. Plus, they have a bookmark for their scriptures; whenever they open their quads, they will always remember that they are of worth & loved.
4 comments:
What a great activity and we loved it.
Thank you so much for sharing your activity idea. I have been in YW for almost nine years now, and I am really running out of ideas.
This was such a good one I think I may have to use it soon.
Please keep sending the ideas!
Awesome activity chelle! Those are some lucky girls to have such a fun YW leader! I loved catching up on your blog, especially the funny story contest. You make me smile, lady!!!
Great idea! They look super cute.
Post a Comment