Sunday, March 06, 2011

Weekend Round-up: Lows & Highs

"Look hard enough, and you can discover both good and bad in almost anyone and anything. ~ President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I love his thought and I absolutely believe it's true: how you see a situation or a person is really up to you. It comes down to perspective and attitude; even a bad situation can have a silver lining if you look closely, and want to.

With that, I give you my weekend of lows and highs. While I did pinpoint various "lows", I didn't dwell on them, but rather used them to highlight how high the "highs" were in comparison. All in all, despite the return of The Sick, it was a grand weekend.

Friday's LOWS:
  • Didn't schedule time to workout :(
  • Forgot to pick up the dry cleaning
  • Sadly, all of our friends were too sick, too sleepy or too busy to join us at Gymagine.
Friday's HIGHS:
  • Going to Gymagine, despite no play pals, was a fun hour of running, jumping, swinging and laughing. Although, Benjamin's favorite activity was making a bee-line for the front door (he could usually push it open and get outside before I could get to him!), we had an awesome time. And a weird, random high? I love the smell of the gym - it reminds me of my gymnastics days. Lots of hours logged in a overly cool gym, chalk dust on everything and a musty, sweaty smell that lingers in the air. May sound weird, but to me = Good Memories/Good Stuff.
  • Hanging with a clingy, faux-hawked little sick boy
  • Lounged on the couch, watching tv and relaxing with Dave (after B was in bed). Don't remember what we watched, but the feeling of quiet togetherness was absolutely luxurious.

Saturday's LOWS:
  • Not getting enough sleep and feeling tired all day
  • Dave & Benjamin attended the funeral of a past bishop.
Saturday's HIGHS:
  • Despite crazy fatigue, was a madwoman in the cleaning department while the boys were gone. Cleared out the right side of the garage so that both cars fit in there now!
  • Seeing a rainbow through the clouds - there's that silver lining.


  • Parents that make babysitting house-calls
  • Grilled Chicken Citrus Salad at Claim Jumper's
  • Watching "The Adjustment Bureau"
  • Hanging with the Watsons and the Valentines

Sunday's LOWS:
  • Missing church
  • One visit to Bartell's to pick up cough syrup and antibiotics for Dave
  • One visit to the walk-in clinic for Benjamin
  • One hour of waiting in said clinic with a very cranky child
  • One visit to Walgreen's to pick up ear drops and antibiotics for Benjamin
Sunday HIGHS:
  • Reading President Uchtdorf's message, "Looking for the Good"
  • The blessings of yet another beautiful winter day and the view we get to enjoy daily. I love pretend like we are living in the country, even though we live less than a mile from Little Caesar's, Taco Bell, Domino's and Starbucks. But guys, we are so country.
  • Baking - it's been too long, I forgot how much I love baking and making fun & tasty stuff for others. I blame this renewal of baking fervor on the ubiquitous cupcakey-like shows on cable: Cupcake Wars, Cake Boss, Next Great Baker, Cupcake Girls, DC Cupcakes. I've watched them all, in the name of research, thanks to a little thing called OnDemand. Cupcake of the Day: dark chocolate Devil's food cupcakes and chocolate mousse filling, topped with rich buttercream and two shades of green sprinkles. Special deliveries slated for tomorrow during FHE!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You had no takers on Gymagine? Shocking. That is the best place in the whole world! I had to cancel our class for tomorrow. Ethan is SO sick. If this kid doesn't get better soon, I may have to check myself into the looney bin. Seriously.

Yay for a clean garage, love B's faux hawk, beautiful views and that looks like one yummy cupcake!