The Haps
The Super Moon is high in the evening sky and I'm thinking about some things.
Life has been limping along rather hopelessly, at times, these days. We are in an epic struggle for normalcy and routines in a illness-ridden season where we hit the jackpot. Who knew that our little house would be so sickly this year? I don't know about anyone else, but I have created a whimsical paper-chain in my mind to joyfully tick off the days until Spring arrives. Tomorrow is the big day and I could not be more excited.
Tonight, my sister-in-law Julie inquired if it was worth it, money wise. Let's just say that while I thoroughly enjoyed the finished product, I completely *get* why cupcake shops charge so darn much for their sugary confections.
In a rather funny turn of events, an FHE delivery of my signature cupcakes to some families has created quite a stir, and some cupcakery business too. Two days later, a couple of women approached me at the meeting formerly known as Enrichment. One has a son getting married in late summer, who "really, really needs my help." The second lady, scurried over at the end of the meeting and effusively exclaimed, "I'm hiring you to do a baby shower!"
Fast forward 9 days and here is the completed baby shower project. I did get paid, which was lovely, but it was A LOT of work. 72 cupcakes later, my sink was full, countertops were dusted in a fine layer of powdered sugar, the table was strewn with pieces of colored paper and hot glue strings, my carpet was covered with dark chocolate cupcake crumbs (a little cupcake bandit), one stool was broken (baby destroyer) and the kitchen floor was a comical sea of Costco fruit snacks. Apparently, Benjamin didn't share my passion or interest in this cupcake project.
Tonight, my sister-in-law Julie inquired if it was worth it, money wise. Let's just say that while I thoroughly enjoyed the finished product, I completely *get* why cupcake shops charge so darn much for their sugary confections.
In other news, Benjamin is allergic to penicillin. In a previous post, I shared a picture of his body rash. That was Day #1 - and that was the best day. Shortly thereafter, the prickly red-mark rash turned into large, red welts covering his body. The welts should have tipped me off, and I had a feeling, but shrugged it off because we got the word from his doctor. However, at his 18-month Baby Well Check on Friday, our pediatrician broke the news: it was not viral, but an allergic reaction. First round of antibiotics cause allergic reaction but don't touch the ear infection. Welcome to Round #2; fingers crossed, this one works. A quick aside, he is off the charts at 35" tall! I think it might be the Miracle-Gro...
Dave is hard at work on prepping for a huge, ugly divorce case that is going to trial in another week, while juggling a bunch of other cases. He's gone a lot and comes home exhausted. I don't have any pictures of him in this state, but trust me that "he's working hard for the money".
My cold is lingering, but I figure it is thanks to the miserable lack of sleep courtesy of a double-whammy ear infection. Despite that, the kiddo and I try to make sure we do lots of hiding, seeking, playing, jumping, singing.
This week, I've learned a few lessons; nothing earth-shattering, but crazy important to my soul:
- Don't let your frustrations show - he doesn't understand and it's likely he's frustrated too.
- Breathe.
- Cover your ears - the screaming only lasts a little while.
- Breathe some more.
- He's not getting smaller, so enjoy the little moments that each day brings.
- Don't underestimate your motherly instincts.
- Messes don't have to be cleaned up right away. Sometimes, we should sit quietly for a moment, survey the chaos and relish the wildness that is your life.
Baby Destroyer discovering the Mommy is taking photographic evidence of the destruction - while lying prone on the kitchen floor. He decides to jump on her back and pull her hair. Mayhem ensues, but the Mommy manages to take a skillful, behind-the-back shot of said mayhem.
Minutes later, the Baby Destroyer morphs into Baby Angel; playing primary songs (actually this was his rendition of "Chopsticks"), folding his arms for prayer and flashing his babylicious-toothed smile.
2 comments:
Ahhhh I should have read this post first and it would have answered my question, but I thought I would start from the older posts and move forward. So an allergy it is! I am also allergic to pennacilon, so I suppose that is why I asked. Okay, I re-spelled pennacilon like 5 times in this comment and still can't get it to come out right. I don't know why I can't spell it this morning- as I've written it on doctor forms for years whenever they ask what you are allergic to.
I didn't find out I was allergic until I was like 19 yrs old. Huge breakout in hives all over my body. I guess I n ever really had any reason to have antibiotics before then. (I had strep throat and tonsilitus a lot in my early 20's, hence the antibiotic phase which helped me learn I was allergic).
ANYWAY. I hope YOU get feeling better too. Your baking looks fabulous - so cute. And I want to dip my fingers in the frosting on your photos. Yummmm....
He is just too cute.
Post a Comment