Monday, March 07, 2011

I Knew It

Igloo-Camping 101 - or A Young Girl's Suspicions Confirmed


Last month, Dave was asked to be a "consultant" on the prep workshop for our old ward's igloo camping adventure. He agreed, with the condition that I could tag along on the snowshoeing portion of the trip. I haven't been up in the mountains all winter, and he thought it would also be a fun way for us to spend some time together.

It was a wonderful feeling to slide into those snowshoes; sadly, they were starting to collect dust in our garage after a two-year break since the birth of B. The cold air sweeping into my lungs was invigorating as we climbed what Dave later termed, "Sofie's Hill" (after one of the less-eager scouts). And the trip as a whole? Entirely enlightening.

As a young girl, I was always envious of my three brothers and their nearly constant trips to fun hiking, camping and wintry destinations. They packed their gear with the precision and zeal of a serious outdoors man, but were always sure to throw serious survival food, like Twizzlers, Reese's PB cups and gobs of candy bars. I had a feeling that it was more than just something they "had to do". I had a sneaky suspicion they were up in the back country or the mountains whooping it up - and I was stuck at home, wondering why I didn't get to go on these secret adventures.

Well, ladies, I can tell you I was right. Those awful, difficult scout trips were a cover for the most fun-filled trips to awesomely-beautiful locations.

While our motley crew headed to Stevens Pass with the intent to learn igloo-building basics, they also happened to haul up essential igloo-building tools such as plastic sleds, toboggans, & weird disc-y things. Here's the trip breakdown: 1st 20 minutes - snowshoeing to the igloo site; 20 minutes of instruction; 3 hours of sledding fun (minus a few minutes to scarf down whatever sugary treats they brought for "lunch"). See for yourself: I have the photo evidence to prove that this was more than just a tedious lesson in ice blocks and snow-saw techniques!


Dave & Yours Truly, The Undercover Reporter
The secret's out - and you heard it here first!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, that looks like fun! Glad you had a good time and uncovered what REALLY goes on up there. Haha! :)

wandering nana said...

It looks like so much fun. When Mark was the Scout master I use to tell him I knew he was secretly having a great time. I could tell by the fun pictures. You just confirmed this. Great post and beautiful pictures.