Wednesday, April 01, 2009

On Patience & Productivity

Because Tuesday is one of my regular days off, I usually try whittling down my to-do list items, such as chores, appointments and errands. Unfortunately, due to the disappearing act of our dial tone on Sunday, our friends at Verizon said they would be by some time on Tuesday to fix it… which meant I was stuck home for the day.

After Dave left for work, I grabbed my keys, purse and made a mad dash to pick up groceries (and some movies at RedBox since I was “in” for the day) and return over-due library books.

Of course, when I returned there was still no word from Verizon.

So, while waiting for the savior/fixer of our high-speed internet, I:

  • threw a load of white towels in the washer;
  • ate some whole-wheat pancakes with blackberry syrup (heaven);
  • organized paper & craft things after YW coupon-book activity;
  • warmed up the iron to tackle pile of wrinkled clothes;
  • placed “Marley and Me” in the DVD player;
  • grabbed the flower bulbs from the garage (that needed to be planted by March);
  • plotted out where said bulbs should be placed in too-tiny plot of dirt in our “backyard” (loosely-termed);
  • planted during break in the rain showers;
  • attacked the spider closet (our outside storage) with ‘kill-on-impact’ spray;
    found last packet of white wheat in our food storage;
  • unpacked last food storage order (10” cans) and organized in spider closet;
  • found box filled with well-hidden videos of 1) me & Jen on the news when Twin City Foods exploded, 2) me on the news when WTO protests struck Seattle, 3) me & roommates singing and dancing for a BYU talent show;
  • brainstormed ways to destroy incriminating footage;
  • reveled in the short stint of beautiful sunshine;
  • began sweeping out disgusting garage;
  • actually pushed play on movie and made lunch;
  • took out trash and load of recycling;
  • dusted;
  • organized garage (this is what I call fun – seriously);
  • watched movie while eating lunch;
  • did dishes and began ironing;
  • watched rest of movie & cried eyes out (highly recommend this movie – it was beautiful)
  • an hour later, received voice mail from automated Verizon attendant that a technician would not be coming out that day;
  • grrr.

Apparently, there were some emergency outages on Tuesday which warranted booting us off Verizon’s to-do list for the day. Dave called Verizon; they gave us a credit on our account and apologized for the delay, with the promise that a tech would be there first thing today. Unless, of course, there’s another emergency.

I think I would have been a lot more upset had I taken a vacation day for THE WAIT. And, on the bright side, I got a lot done so my home-bound day was not utterly wasted.

4 comments:

wandering nana said...

Hey, I have a garage that you would have a really fun time cleaning. Come on over.

Whimsy said...

You, my friend, are FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE than a pregnant woman should be.

I'm just saying, you're putting the rest of us (non-pregnant) girls to shame.

Bridget said...

That is an amazingly productive list. If that's how you are now...watch out when you begin nesting.

You can find a cute froggy potty on Amazon. I think it's made by Fisher-Price. They're pretty cheap and it just happened to do the trick with Jett. We had a cute little white one for the other boys. It looked like a miniture toilet and even had a handle to flush and a lid on the seat and everything. BUT Jett hated it and would cry every time we put him on it, so we gave it away when we moved. Froggy potty was 1/2 the price and double the fun.

Ann said...

You are super productive. That's impressive. How annoying that Verizon didn't come. But, at least you didn't waste you day doing nothing.