Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Demon Squirrel

Dear Readers,

After my joyous day of productivity last week, I was dreaming of a summer filled with fresh flower arrangements of fragrant freesia, colorful dahlias and bright agapanthus.

Yesterday, my hopes were dashed by a demon squirrel.

My kind neighbor has a soft place in her heart for this demon squirrel. Apparently, she figures there is little to no food in our urban locale, so she leaves handfuls of peanuts out for him to nibble on. Each spring, as I prepare for planting flowers, fruits and vegetables in my back patio area, I find those darn peanuts buried in my raised planters and beds.

Yesterday, as I showed my mom my gardening efforts, I came across a horrible scene: unearthed, half-eaten bulbs and shells scattered across the dirt. And... a shelled peanut.

That darn squirrel.

I've never read up on the feeding habits of squirrels, but I know that they wreak havoc on fruit trees (and my attempt at growing strawberries). However, it didn't cross my mind to research the possibility of those dastardly squirrels and their potentail for unleashing mayhem on spring bulbs.

My mom consulted with her master gardener friends; they suggested building an obstacle with chicken wire and sticks. I've also read that cayenne pepper and blood meal may work.

Sadly, none of those remedies will bring back the little bulbs. Thank goodness I received them as a parting gift at Enrichment last year. If I had paid for them, I think I would be openly weeping about now.

Am I the only one that has been duped by these wily, nefarious rodents?

Sincerely,
The Novice & Melancholy Gardener

3 comments:

wandering nana said...

I know that Blue Jays and other birds will also bury peanuts but I don't think they eat bulbs. I didn't know that squirrels did that. We don't have too many in our neighborhood which I have been sad about but maybe it's a good thing. I would think a squirrel would get over any barrier. Good luck.

Bridget said...

We had a squirrel a few years ago that planted walnuts in our beds/garden. I found out because the seedlings starting growing.

Jessica said...

We have at least 7 that live in our trees and they are not nice neighbors. Whenever Jillian sees a sunflower she says "I'm mad at squirrels" since they ate hers last summer. They dig up the bulbs in the back (so much for planting them in a pattern) but thankfully leave the ones in front alone.