Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday's Top 10 List: What's in a Name?

Last Sunday, we were at my in-laws' house for General Conference and the topic of baby names came up in conversation.

I never realized how opinionated everyone can get about a baby name - nor how tricky it is to find a good, solid name that does not evoke weird nicknames or allusions to famous people. I suggested a few but each name was attached to a person that someone knew with an odd/bad/goofy personality trait. Even combinations of family names can pose problems; naming the baby after both of our fathers would create some variation of Benjamin Franklin.

To be safe, I suppose we could go with a rare/unique name that is not attached to any person or their quirky characteristics. Or, perhaps we will consult the Name Genie and hope for the best!

For kicks, today's Top 10 List is dedicated to weird names. Some have been gleaned from the web but most of these rare gems are people that we've actually known!

Enjoy!
  1. Espe Do Wop Jones
  2. Buster Driscoll
  3. Halla Day
  4. Crovosier Carpenter
  5. Gamble Lynn Monney
  6. Bow Hunter
  7. Penny Nichol
  8. Jillian Lillian McMillian
  9. Louis Larriss
  10. Carlos Carlos
I know that there are many, many more weird names out there, but these were just a few that came to mind. What weird names or combinations have you seen... or better yet, known!

10 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks for the laugh! Your blog is so well organized. I am happy just to get something up on my blog! Tim and I found that boy's names were 10x times harder than girl's names, I'm not sure why. Ezra didn't officially get a name until 2 hours after his birth. It's good that your simply laughing with all of the naming stuff - you never get more unsolicited advice, stories, or information than when you are pregnant!

Harmony said...

I always thought it was so weird when people named their kids things like John Johnson and Richard Dickson--think, people!

Are you going to have the name be a surprise to everyone else?

TnT Bingham said...

Chelle, So excited to learn you are having a boy! Yay!!! Boys are great fun, that's for sure!

Names are very tricky, but I trust you are up to the challenge. The trick is getting you and Dave to agree on the perfect name....no small feat in the Bingham family! =)

Sorry to hear about the squirrel attack...that's HORRIBLE! We have a freakish number of squirrels in our backyard here! It's kind of scary sometimes. I want to put out birdfeeders, but then I don't want to start encouraging the squirrels so I haven't..... sigh.

Love you to pieces!

wandering nana said...

Evidently, some parents either have a weird sense of humor or they really don't like the children they are haveing and the name is their punishment. Just remember that your child will be around children.... don't give him a name that kids can make fun of... that's the only advice I have.... but Mark is a really good strong name (guess who's idea that was?)

Sweet Home Alabama! said...

I will add one more real life name. One of my good friends in college was named Jan Erik Aase (pronounced Ay-see). He married Lacie Sorenson, so she became Lacie Aase (Lay-see Ay-see).

Tawnya said...

Ha! I totally sympathize with you. You can imagine the suggestions we get. Like why don't you name him "Happy" like Happy Gilmore and then he'll be Happy Valentine. Now that we're having a girl we always get suggestions to name her Rose Valentine. Or how about Be My Valentine. It's pathetic! I never know if these people are joking or not. Good luck. We didn't officially decide with Jaxson until we saw him and we will probably do the same with this girl.

Chelle said...

Mindy - I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Yeah, we're having a hard time with boy's names, but hopefully we'll have one before we leave the hospital!

Harmony - I so totally agree... Gamble Lynn Monney was a guy I knew at BYU! He was endlessly mocked. Not sure if we'll keep it a surprise or not - but knowing us, we have a hard time keeping things like that a secret!

Tiff - We're so excited too, but name negotiations will probably go on for a while. :) Yeah, that darn squirrel! I read that a park in Spokane WA is going to use the "Rodenator" (no kidding) to blow up an obscene amount of these pests - maybe I could borrow it?!

Nana - Yes, Mark is a very strong name... & we'll definitely throw it into the pool of options. :)

Bill/Diane - Lacey ("Acey")... now that is just too bad... and too funny!

Tawnya - Wow, it didn't even cross my mind that you would be getting all of those wacky, silly suggestions. Picking any of those suggestions would ensure a lifetime of ridicule for your sweet little girl. The only funny thing that comes to mind for our last name is if we chose the name "Lake" - as in, Lake Goodwin. And that's not really that funny, especially if you don't live here.

Grossarths said...

Yeah, everyone has their opinions when it comes to babies and they don't seem to mind telling the parents to be! Thats why we didn't tell anyone what Jackson's name would be until about a week before he was born. Good luck!

tearese said...

the trick is to not worry what other people think. Once they baby is named, they make their own 'name' in the world, so to speak. Even a kid with the weirdest name might just have the personality to pull it off, while your everyday michael or sally might get teased relentlessly because of something else. Good luck!

tearese said...

ps and my brothers' names are Dain, Thain, and Thorin, all named after DWARVES and they are fine. And very proud of their names btw.