Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday's Top 10 List: Ways to Get to Sleep with a Cold (While Pregnant)

  1. Eat spicy foods (clears the sinuses but causes heartburn when lying down)
  2. Go through three boxes of Kleenex (of course you don't have the nice lotion-y kind so you are still congested but now dealing with horribly-chafed skin around the nose). Sigh.
  3. Vapor-Rub: Nice menthol vapors are quite soothing to suffering sinuses but don't last long.
  4. Per doctor's suggestion, take Sudafed. While it is supposed to promote sleepiness, you lie in bed and wonder why you're more awake than ever.
  5. Watch tv for 5 minutes and turn off because it's giving you a headache.
  6. Per doctor's suggestion, take watered-down Robitussin formula. Then notice increase in coughing and other general yuckiness. Still no sleep.
  7. Cry.
  8. After coughing for over 2 hours, run to bathroom & fill basin with hot water. Place towel over head and hope.
  9. Cry some more. And cough some more.
  10. Pray for relief and then immediately pass out from complete exhaustion.

10 comments:

Grossarths said...

OH, being sick while pregnant is the worst! You should be able to take benedryl which also helps you fall asleep. See what your Dr. says. Also try a humidifier and if it seems you get more drainage while lying down, prop yourself up with a couple pillows. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Tamara said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Being sick and prego is no fun at all.

beverly said...

Sorry to hear you are suffering Michelle. I know Sudafed keeps you wide awake too.Take Ginger tea with grated fresh ginger in a cup of hot water. Chinese remedy.Helps your stomach and cough too. Love your blogs. Did you see my blog how to make chocolate cake for two in a coffee mug.? Make sure you Microwave is 1000 watts only.or cook the mugs at 50%

Sarah and James Wagner said...

Your sick and you went and worked out! Get better miss!!!

wandering nana said...

I'm back, what dinner can I bring you?

Tawnya said...

Oh yucky. I have no new suggestions for you. I think we are forced into sleep loss while pregnant in preparation for baby. I am currently suffering from terrible heartburn and have to go to the bathroom ALL night. I think it is all part of the plan. Feel better soon.

Frank and Julie said...

Got a hammer? Great for knocking yourself unconscious so maybe you could sleep. Seriously I hope your feeling a little bit better. "This too shall pass."
The humidifier seemed to work for me when I couldn't use anything else.

Whimsy said...

I second and third the humidifier (with eucalyptus in the water) and the benedryl!

I hope you feel better soon.

Jenni said...

I know you posted this a few days ago, so hopefully by now you are feeling a little better. But doesn't it seem like it takes twice as long to recover from being sick while you're prego?

I remember getting a cold when I was 5 months pregnant. It was my first cold while prego. With all the stinkin' emotional stuff you deal with while being pregnant and then getting sick on top of it, I was super mad. I was mad at whoever gave me their germs and even had angry thoughts of how incredibly inconsiderate they were to dare get me sick. LOL

Now that I look back, I can see how excessive everything seemed at the time and I have since repented of my vile ways. LOL.

Hope you get feeling better.

Chelle said...

Thanks for all of your great suggestions and comments! And with a special thanks to Nana, who lent me her super fabulous humidifier, I'm happy to report that I slept through the night on Monday. It was blissful.

Fingers crossed that I'm on the upswing... stay tuned!