Last week, two of my good friends celebrated their birthdays together - and because they are twins, it really is the sensible thing to do.
Perhaps it's because the economy is a little uncertain. Perhaps it's because I needed a creative outlet. Either way, I decided to make their birthday gifts.
I do realize that some people may believe that the word "homemade" evokes pejorative connotations; namely - "you are too cheap to actually spend money"... OR - "you really must hate me if you gave me ____ (insert - gift that you'd detest)".
However, I wanted to prove those people wrong.
First, and foremost, I thought of the lovely ladies and what they'd enjoy.
The first gift was pretty easy; I created several coupons for free babysitting, a homemade dinner and a batch of my cookies. It may not sound like much, but to a new mom I knew it would be much appreciated.
The second gift was a little trickier. With no children, a coupon for free babysitting just seemed silly. But, I knew that she would love flowers. Fortunately, I took a flower arranging class in college (no kidding, it was Horticulture 170, or something like that), and hoped I could remember the techniques necessary to whip up something that would be special. With two bundles from the grocery store, a black container and floral foam, I created the arrangement below. Not only will it last quite a while - thanks to the foam - but when the water is gone, it will be a lovely dried arrangement. Mission two: completed.
And last, but not least, I decided to give them each a couple of my signature, homemade cupcakes. But... these were not my typical cupcakes.
I found this awesome pan; it uses one regular batch of cake - but only makes 6 cupcakes! These super-sized, chocolate-fudge wonders finished at a whopping 6" tall, thanks to a hefty mountain of creamy frosting. And with a huge dose of white chocolate mousse infused into the centers, they weighed a ton!
Two were quickly boxed up for each lady to finish off my homemade birthday gifts. Obviously, we HAD to keep the other two at home - purely for quality assurance purposes. And yes, they are as good as they look.
7 comments:
Homemade gifts are so much better than store bought. What great ideas and the flower arrangement... GORGEOUS (seriously, you did the good because you took a class...ah TALENTED!)My mouth is watering for cupcakes now. See you soon.
chelle! Ive loved "catching up" with your blog. The pic of you and Dave in Mexico is beautiful! I loved the RAK activity, the resolve to watch less TV (go you!), and especially the pic of your growing little one! I wish we could share some mini eggs (a little on the "unbreatheable" side, but OH SO WORTH IT)and laugh together for a while...better yet, I need too move close enough to get partake of your AMAZING homemade gifts! You are one of a kind-talented in so many ways! I miss you!
Oh good grief - those gifts were amazing, and I'm with nana: homemade gifts are the best.
Homemade gifts are the best and I truly enjoyed them! I'll be redeeming my coupons soon. The cupcakes were tremendous. You truly outdid yourself on those babies!
Seriously, you need to move closer! Those gifts are fabulous! Way better than a gift card or cheesy gift! Way thoughtful!
My mouth is watering. I need your cupcake recipes. Love, love, love the flowers too.
You did such a great job! I am sure they both loved it! And homemade gifts are better ( for the most part) ;0)
Post a Comment