Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's the RAK?

Introducing... the Beverly Park Ward RAK Challenge!

Last week, I was in charge of the YM/YW Combined activity.  As luck would have it, this was also the one month that our committee had not planned out the idea.  So, the day I got back from Mexico, I realized that I had about 10 days to think of something brilliant and throw it together - without making it look like it was thrown together.  

Thankfully, I had a few tricks up my sleeve... in the form of sites that provide a lot of great activity ideas.  After perusing one of those sites, I came across the RAK Challenge; a snazzy mixture of the Amazing Race, Apprentice and Survivor.  My initial thought was to save it for a warmer day in the summer when the sun goes down at 9 or so.  But, I liked the idea so much that I decided this was THE ONE... while fervently praying for decent weather.

Each group was given a rule sheet and a strip of paper with a primary song on it.  I told them they had 60 seconds to get into their groups - and they did so by humming the primary song.  I found this method to be 1) hilarious 2) very effective & 3) a fair way to make the groups.  Unfortunately, there was one kid who was either an investigator or less active because he just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders (never fear - the YM leader came to his rescue).

The Rules?
* Stay together as a group
* Must stay in the two ward boundaries (our building is within the boundaries of another ward)
* Earn points for each task you do; bonus points for actually talking to someone
* Be creative, work as a team and have fun!
* If another team has already been to a house, you must move on
* Be back to the church by 8:10
* Earn 10 extra points for sharing an experience with the entire group

The Tasks
* Deliver treats to someone's house (10 pts)
* Sing to them or visit with them (5 pts)
* Window washing (10 pts/car, 5 pts/house window)
* Leave note of appreciation (5 pts)
* Decorate something with colored paper (10 pts)
* Decorate something with balloons (10 pts)
* Give away a Pass-along card (50 pts)
* Figure out what RAK stands for (20 pts)
* Be back at the church on time (20 pts)
* Someone shares an experience (10 pts)
* Other (eg. return grocery carts to a store, pick up garbage, help someone do something - 10pts)

Although we got started a little later than planned, each group managed to do some awesome things throughout the community.  They came back to the church a little cold and tired, but seemed to enjoy the activity while they devoured hot chocolate, cinnamon rolls and rice krispie treats. 

Oh, and what's RAK? It stands for Random Acts of Kindness.  Good job to all of our groups for spreading the love!

2 comments:

wandering nana said...

I wish I had been there. I love the pictures. What a great idea.

Kaycie's Korner said...

That was such a fun activity!! You are amazing!!! I miss you so much!!! I am so excited for the baby!! :)