Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Purpose of April Fool's

Instead of posting an April's Fools joke, I've opted for sharing a snippet from a New York Times article that I found interesting:

April Fool! The Purpose of Pranks
By Benedict Carey


Keep it above the belt, stop short of total humiliation and, if possible, mix in some irony, some drama, maybe even a bogus call from the person’s old flame or new boss. A good prank, of course, involves good stagecraft. But it also requires emotional intuition.

“You want to play on people’s weaknesses or dislikes, but not go too hard,” said Tommy Doran, a fireman and paramedic in Skokie, Ill., who as a rookie in Montgomery County, Md., was lured into the station’s kitchen and blasted with multiple cream pies. “For me it’s just the sort of dark humor we use to cope with the job and each other. Nothing dangerous or illegal.”

Psychologists have studied pranks for years, often in the context of harassment, bullying and all manner of malicious exclusion and prejudice.

Yet practical jokes are far more commonly an effort to bring a person into a group, anthropologists have found — an integral part of rituals around the world intended to temper success with humility. And recent research suggests that the experience of being duped can stir self-reflection in a way few other experiences can, functioning as a check on arrogance or obliviousness.

Abbie Hoffman said the good prank, which humorously satirizes human fears or failings, is found in a wide variety of initiation rites and coming-of-age rituals. The Daribi of New Guinea, for example, have children make a small box and bury it in the ground, telling them that after a while a treasure will appear inside but they must not peek...

Invariably the youngsters succumb to curiosity — only to find a sample of human feces.

In my humble opinion, this initiation rite leans toward the 'mean' side of things. If I were one of those Daribi youngsters, I'd creatively bestow my little "treasure" back on the villagers.

In the end, the purpose of this celebrated day is to give us a little perspective and a little mirth... as well as a nice dose of awareness & humble pie.

2 comments:

SBrooks said...

Amen - crazy holiday but I like the fun factor added into it!

Rose said...

I've heard that if you take a pregnancy test within a couple weeks of delivering a baby, it will still come back positive. I thought about taking a pregnancy test and showing the positive test to Jared... just to freak him out a little... :) I didn't though...