Monday, March 31, 2008

Milestones & Musings

It’s finally here! A short time ago, I started looking at my past blog posts and realized I was nearing the three digit milestone. Initially, I thought I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, but then I thought – 100 – that is a big deal and I must celebrate!

In December 2006, I started my blog because I loved writing, journals and keeping in contact with family and friends. As I’ve scanned through various blogs who have already hit this milestone, there was an idea called “100 Things about the Blogger”. In honor of my 100th post and the fact that I love lists, I thought I’d give it a whirl. If you do choose to read on, you may be amused by little tidbits of my life that I rarely share.
  1. 31 is my all-time favorite number: I was born on January 31st, worked at Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors, my golden birthday year was an all-time high, and today is the 31st. It just works as a favorite number on so many levels.

  2. Typically, answers to my prayers come almost instantaneously.

  3. I have a deep and abiding love for chocolate. In college, my friends and I would frequent Hogi Yogi where I always ordered an obscene chocolate yogurt creation. Tiffany called these creations "unbreathe-able" (read: super rich).

  4. I was painfully shy as a child.

  5. Cats make me sick – literally. In fact, the reaction can send me to the ER.

  6. I read dictionaries. Not cover to cover, but I look for words I don’t know and make a list so that I can learn them.

  7. I’m the second child and first girl in my family.

  8. The Oregon Coast, namely the Cannon Beach/Manzanita area, is my favorite vacation spot.
  9. When I was little, I spent a few weeks of my summer with my cousins in Oregon. While riding Big Wheels down a large hill, I tried to stop with my stocking feet. Fortunately, there were no lasting scars.

  10. Certain colognes make me sick; some make me weak in the knees.

  11. My longest phone call – 5 ½ hours.

  12. I participated in a Cart-Wheel-a-Thon where I completed over 1,000 cartwheels.

  13. In fourth grade, I won a school-wide coloring contest; the prize was a Walkman.

  14. As a teenager, I was cast as one of the sisters from “Fiddler on the Roof” for a stake Broadway Review. In the middle of my dialogue, under bright lights and in front of hundreds of people, I forgot my lines… and started laughing out of sheer terror.

  15. During the summer of my senior year at BYU, I hiked to the Y every week with my roommate, Kim.

  16. My first car was a light blue, Hyundai Excel. It suffered an awful death when the transmission fell out in the middle of a busy Marysville intersection.

  17. I’ve stood in the middle of Times Square… and yes, it is as amazing as you think.

  18. From Times Square, I could see N’Sync performing in MTV’s TRL studios.

  19. As a child, my favorite pair of shoes were red Nikes with iridescent swooshes.

  20. I love watching snow fall.

  21. I could (and have) spent hours in bookstores and libraries.

  22. As a kid, I was something of a tomboy.

  23. I can’t stand cigarette smoke.

  24. Libraries are inspiring and sacred places.

  25. I’ve realized I’m much harder on myself than I should be.

  26. Thanks to my dad, I have an irrational fear of driving in snow.

  27. I’ve seen Kevin Bacon – he was walking into the Ram’s Head in Annapolis, MD.

  28. I have a minor in history, with an emphasis on World War II and the Holocaust.

  29. Someday I want to travel in Europe.

  30. Working with my siblings, we built a fort, complete with scrap carpet & wild flower bouquets, behind an old railroad line in Spokane.

  31. I’m a very impatient driver.

  32. I love my family fiercely, even if I don’t always express that well.

  33. At one time, I wanted to major in International Relations and work for the Foreign Service.

  34. After 4 ½ years of Spanish in high school and college, I can read and sort of speak the language.

  35. I have stood on the shores and breathed the ocean air of the Pacific and Atlantic.

  36. When I was 12, a friend and I planted flower seeds on the banks of a creek.

  37. I was present at the February 2003 CES broadcast when a man held President Howard W. Hunter hostage and threatened to blow up the Marriott Center.

  38. I’ve watched whales play in the Bay of Banderas in Puerto Vallarta.

  39. Inspired by the “We Are the World” song, my fifth grade class helped collect cans to raise funds for the famine in Ethiopia.

  40. I don’t enjoy conflict, but I have a bit of a stubborn streak.

  41. My first crush, at the age of 10, was with a boy who shared my same initials.

  42. After training for two months, I ran my first 10K last summer.

  43. In 2003, I was pulled over for the first (& only) time – for a burned-out tail light.

  44. Although I don’t care for seafood, I’ve eaten crab, shrimp, salmon, mahi-mahi and calamari.

  45. My fourth grade teacher, Mr. Perno (retired military) threw a chalkboard eraser and hit me because I was talking with my friend, Sammie.

  46. I’ve been greatly blessed with unwavering faith.

  47. My taste in music is pretty varied, but I’m a closet fan of sappy love songs.

  48. I try to be a good listener.

  49. During my Baskin-Robbins days, I could do a one-arm pull-up.

  50. At age 13, I won a blue ribbon in the Evergreen State Fair for my chocolate chip cookies (thanks to the Toll-House recipe).

  51. During sports and games, my competitive nature goes into hyper drive.

  52. One summer, my family camped in a tent for 30 days.

  53. I’ve received compliments on my handwriting and singing voice.

  54. My first concert was C&C Music Factory - it was in the Kingdome after a Mariners game.

  55. I’ve never liked pop or any carbonated beverage.

  56. For my final YW project, I worked as a candy striper at Everett Providence Hospital… I even wore the pink & white pinafore.

  57. When I was younger, I thought life was easy. Now I know that life is good, but never easy.

  58. During a short stint in newspapers, I actually had a byline.

  59. My gymnastics career ended when I landed wrong on a dismount from the beam.

  60. Thanks to my east coast driving experiences, I am a ‘traffic circle’ master.

  61. One day, I hope to be as happy & talented as my mom and as thoughtful & kind as my dad.

  62. I own many pairs of black shoes (incl. boots) – and I wear all of them frequently.

  63. As the sun begins to come out in mid-April, I get bit by the gardening bug.

  64. I love my black and white polka-dot umbrella… even though I rarely use it.

  65. My closet is organized by type, then color.

  66. On the way to a big New Year’s Eve dance, I slipped in mud and fell flat on my back… as I looked up, 30 people were staring down at me & asking if I was ok.

  67. I have strolled along the Tidal Basin with a cool spring breeze diffusing the heady fragrance of cherry blossoms.

  68. String cheese is my favorite snack.

  69. In one week’s period of time, my hair color changed 5 times.

  70. Gettysburg National Park is one of the most peaceful and reverent places I’ve ever been.

  71. Someday, I hope to finish one of the many stories I have begun to write.

  72. While most people do not like winter in Seattle, I love those gray days because it feels like I’m wrapped in a big blanket awaiting the coming of spring.

  73. On more than one occasion, I’ve watched an entire season of “America’s Next Top Model” in one day (thanks to the VH1 marathons).

  74. Often, I find myself singing along to the catchy jingles on TV.

  75. I love all things blackberry – jam, crisp, pie, syrup.

  76. My favorite time of the day is talking to my husband just before falling asleep.

  77. Most random college memory: seeing who could stand the furthest from the dumpster while successfully chucking a bag of garbage.

  78. I’m a Google-a-holic; one day Google was blocked at work and I didn’t know what to do with myself.

  79. From time to time, I like to treat myself to fresh flowers.

  80. I love the feeling of the salty wind in my face as I ride the ferry.

  81. When I have to sleep in the house by myself, I pull the covers over my head and pray that morning will come quickly.

  82. I’ve never had a manicure or pedicure, but I plan to change that very soon.

  83. My dream job would be to work as a part-time children’s librarian.

  84. I love the endorphin rush you get after a difficult workout or run.

  85. As a child, I loved to rearrange my bedroom. On one occasion, I was pulling a mattress over me and an exposed coil sliced my leg. The wound was not deep, but I still have the 6-inch scar to prove it.

  86. I love making things with Powerpoint.

  87. While we were living in a rental home, the water main was turned off for routine maintenance. I tried running the bath, but nothing came out. A few hours later, after the water had been turned back on, a trickle of water started dripping from the kitchen ceiling. Running upstairs, I found that I had forgotten to turn the bath knob back to ‘off’ and the water was overflowing all over the floor. Needless to say, I was in deep trouble.

  88. Reading is one of my favorite hobbies.

  89. At various points in my life, I have realized that I am stronger than I ever thought possible.

  90. I am always game to try new things – even though I get frustrated that I’m not good right away.

  91. I’ve been told I have a contagious, fun laugh; a stranger went so far as to compliment me while we were leaving a movie theater.

  92. Lately, I’ve been cooking without recipes and find it to be an fun, exciting experiment.

  93. I constantly give thanks for the good people in my life.

  94. My hair color leaves something to be desired, but I’m too cheap to color it often.

  95. One thing I have learned – the larger the bag you have, the more things you can find to fill it up.

  96. I’m painfully aware of my weaknesses.

  97. I love scented lotions – my current favorite is Sephora’s Guava Passion.

  98. When I’m home alone, I like to turn on some loud music and dance.

  99. Playing the piano is one of the greatest stress relievers.

  100. If you have made it to the end of this list, congrats – and thanks for participating in the celebration of my #100!

8 comments:

angelalois said...

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing with us. I LOVE those ANTM marathons! And I love a bunch of other things on your list. Happy #100 to you!

SBrooks said...

Great job cous!

Jenni said...

WOw you've been a long time blogger - definitely before it became so popular. Nice job! And I definitely learned more about you - even made it to #100. Good job on keeping your natural hair color by the way. I think it is great.

wandering nana said...

And I thought I knew a lot about you. Little did I know that you're " closet" dancer. You really watch American Top Model? You do have a wonderful singing voice and a fun laugh.

TnT Bingham said...

What a fun post! I had forgotten all about your "unbreathable" concoctions. =) My favorite part of catching up with your blog was reading about Cam's ordination. I remember thinking he was the cutest kid in the world-especially his spunky personality. It warmed my heart to read of Eric's emotion as he was ordaining him. I am so happy for your family to have a such a joyful reason to gather. Reading your 100 things has made me miss you something awful!

Chelle said...

Angela - it was fun to compile and share! I'm glad you enjoyed it... and it's fabulous to know we share a love of ANTM.

Sarinah - so glad to hear from you!

Jenni - Thanks! My blog originated on GooglePages, but only a few knew about it and no one could comment. Moving to blogger, it's been fun to hear from everyone and see other blogs develop.

Nana - you did know a lot about me... & now you know more than you probably ever wanted to! Yes, ANTM is one of my guilty pleasures, but only as a Saturday marathon - I've never followed the current season. I love dancing - what can I say! :)

Tiff - I have been thinking about (& missing) you so much lately! I can't even recall the last time we talked! Remember how much we loved Hogi Yogi? :) I went there a few years ago and sadly, since it's become a bigger chain, the quality has gone down; my concoction was not even close to "unbreathe-able"! :( Cam is still spunky, in his own way. It was a fun day to spend with the fam.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

What a fun read. Good job thinking of all those and sharing with us!

Chelle said...

Thanks, Rach - I had a good time trying to think of 100 random things about myself.