Monday, March 24, 2008

Of Cheap Carpet & Good Times

Years ago, Erma Bombeck declared that the idea, “we’ll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet” is a lame excuse for not having a party. For anyone who has seen the crime scene-esque carpet in our townhouse, I think you would eagerly beg to differ. But, in an effort not to gain hermit status, we rolled out the throw rugs and decided to embrace Ms. Bombeck’s carpe diem attitude.

On Friday, we invited a few couples over for fondue and games. I wanted to have a nice dinner, but we just don’t have the capacity to seat that many folks. Although I was feeling a bit under the weather the day of the big event, I was excited to have people over to show off our fancy throw rugs… uh, I mean, stainless steel fondue pot.

While the women congregated in the kitchen to talk & prep the food, the men gathered around the warm glow of the television. With a little help from one of my friends, we soon had a lavish spread of hulled strawberries, sliced bananas, apples, diced kiwis, marshmallows, macaroons, chunky pretzels… and a pot of bubbling, chocolate-y goodness. As I ladled a heaping mound of the chocolate over my plate of treats, I gleefully thought, “This is my kind of party!” And, apparently, chocolate appeals to the masses – everyone filled their bellies with those sweet, warm treats.

After the fondue, we moved to the living room and cracked open ‘Scene-It’. For those that don’t know, ‘Scene-It’ is a DVD-based, movie trivia game which is one-part trivia, and three-parts pure luck. Because one of the couples had not yet played the game, we broke into two teams: men vs. women. During this particular round, we had to fill in the blanks to "North by Northwest", guess an actor’s name by roles they’ve played, guess the name of a movie from a frame where the person has been removed, name an actor by a high-school picture and provide the number of mailboxes in a scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. At the end of a rather rousing, competitive game, the men proved to have better knowledge (or luck) than the female group. But, we had a hilarious group; from the amount of laughter that night, I think it’s safe to say that everyone had a fabulous time.

For those wondering, someone did ask about the unique collection of dark spots in the carpet. I just casually laughed, flipped my hair and said, “Oh, those old things – they’ve been there for years!”

Now you'll have to excuse me – I need to call Home Depot.

5 comments:

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I think the singles ward should contribute to your "new carpet fund." The spots are really just gentle reminders of the many wonderful single ward gatherings, right? Too bad Bracan's not around to help you guys replace the flooring. I think he would enjoy helping Dave with a project like that.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Oh, did I mention the fondue sounds delicious!

wandering nana said...

Throw rugs, cheap multicolor throw rugs... don't replace your carpet, because if there is a lull in the conversation what better way to get things going than to say "oh, someone spilled on the rug" (this can only be used if spots are covered before and the rug suddenly has been moved) or "We once had a dog named Spot and he took things quite literally, thus the spots on the carpet." See conversation will never be dull unless... you replace the carpet.

TnT Bingham said...

fondue and game night sounds fantastic! I'm so glad that you had such a fun night! =) pish posh to anyone who disses carpet spots. Who wants to have a party at a house that looks perfect?--That would put everybody on edge and they couldn't relax and have fun!

Jenni said...

LOL you crack me up! And fondue. Yummmm sounded like a fun party. I'm going to have to get a fondue pot someday.