Sunday, March 16, 2008

Powder Mountain

During our trip to Utah last week, we took a day to explore the snowy slopes. We went with my brother, David; my sister-in-law, Rachel; her husband, Bracan; and their 16-month-old daughter, Lucy. Initially, the plan was to have Rachel carry Lucy in a backpack. Unfortunately, Powder Mountain does not allow papooses on the hill. Someone suggested putting her on skis; while the idea may sound absolutely crazy, that's just what we did! Lucy had a great time and she lasted the entire day (with some brief naps on the chair lifts)... she even sang "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain" as she slid down the slopes.

For me, this was a bit of a challenge. As a novice skier, beginner hills are my usual terrain of choice. However, as we rode up the first lift, I knew I was in for some "fun" times when every run looked like black diamond central. This was NOT good - as Dave says it, "Michelle likes to be in total control, at all times, while skiing." Fortunately, I triumphantly rose to the challenge and made it down in one piece. After a few runs, I felt confident enough that I started going fast down a narrow cat track - and promptly face-planted gracefully into the icy hill.

All in all, it was a great day with gorgeous weather up in the mountains!


Here is my first run - don't I look like a pro?



Lucy tearing up the hill, with mom who is 5 months pregnant helping her navigate.

Lucy directing us where to go.

Dave showing us that "no trail is no problem."

Dave's "Ski Magazine" cover shot.

Rachel giving her 2nd daughter the feel of the snow.
Me & my bro


Lucy taking a brief siesta.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Rachel is 5 months pregnant and was going to carry Lucy in a backpack while skiing?? Wow--that is impressive! (And is it just me, or does Lucy look pretty big for a 16-month-old?)

What beautiful pictures--it looks like you had a great trip! (I love the one of Lucy pointing where to go!) :)

nomadicspud said...

Heath says thats a great ski area. They have helicopter skiing, he got to go once. Loved the pics. Makes me miss snowboarding so much. It looks like it was a beautiful day too.

wandering nana said...

I loved the pictures. It made me miss home.

Chelle said...

Heidi,
No worries - Rachel is an awesome, experienced skier & can handle a backpack with ease; she's been skiing since she was 6 & worked on ski patrol while at BYU. Still the idea is quite impressive. Lucy is very tall for her age, but the bulk is just many layers of warm clothing. It was a wonderful trip!

Sara,
It was one of the most beautiful days I've seen in quite a while...though that may be due to the grey skies of Seattle. Powder Mountain, though a bit challenging for me, was a fabulous place to ski. With acres of terrain, they have both helicopter and cat skiing (snowmobile) to get folks to the good stuff. Maybe we can meet up in Idaho and hit the mountains with you guys. I know Dave would love a ski trip!

Nana,
I'm glad you liked the pics. I thought of you & M while we were there.

Jenni said...

That looks like so much fun! I am impressed though - skiing at 5 months prego. I would have probably been sitting at the lodge drinking cocoa. I went snowshoeing when I was 5 months prego and that was my first and last snow adventure being pregnant. LOL Good job Michelle - you look like a pro!

Stacey said...

Michelle, I don't think you should follow in your sister-in-laws footsteps when you have a toddler someday! Glad you had fun. Who took Dave's pictures?