On Friday, we had a young women’s slumber party where we learned different techniques for making baby quilts. Two of the Beehives & I yarn-tied a light pink, yellow & blue, alphabet-block quilt while one group tied a snowflake fleece quilt and another group worked on folding & pinning peaks. Although some were fixated on the movie, “She’s the Man”, everyone worked hard to get the six quilts finished. From what I heard, it was a wild, fun night and the leaders (and girls?) stayed up until 2:30am!
Unfortunately, because I have pretty severe allergies to cats & dogs, I could not stay the night. I left a little after 11pm; besides being exhausted from a long work day and the quilting extravaganza, the allergens were causing me to have shortness of breath, an itchy throat and general congestion.
As I parked the car in our garage and stumbled into the house, darkness welcomed me. Dave was fast asleep - he was leaving in the morning for a long day of snowshoeing and decided to get to bed early. Donned in my scrubs, I washed my face and started brushing my teeth when I heard a noise.
As a quick disclaimer, a few weeks ago we had a little scare. In the middle of the night, someone started pounding on our front door. I woke up Dave and we went to investigate. As I peered through the blinds, I saw a drunken guy that was beating on our door and turning the knob; he seemed intent to get inside. While Dave & I determined that this poor soul had probably mistaken our door for his friend’s, it was scary enough that we called the police. Three sheriff’s deputies arrived a short time later, but the man had suddenly disappeared into the night. After one of the deputies took our statement, we apologized for taking their time but they said it was good that we called.
(Fast forward to Friday night.) Standing in my pj’s with a pink toothbrush trembling in hand, those events from a few weeks ago flashed across my mind… and I freaked out. I’m usually OCD about checking the front door to make sure it’s locked. In my tired stupor, I had forgotten to check the door before coming upstairs (Alarm #1). I threw the toothbrush down and crept to our bedroom door, looked around the corner and saw a light come on downstairs (Alarm #2)! I heard some rustling downstairs and my heart started beating out of my chest (Alarm #3). Instead of waking my sweet, yet formidable husband and letting him leap to my rescue, -OR- grabbing Dave’s only weapon (a mountaineering ice-ax), -OR- ringing our friendly neighborhood policeman, I conjured up the scariest, guttural voice I could muster and yelped, “Go Away!”
Keep in mind; I was exhausted and not thinking straight. The average person would know better than call attention to oneself. Even more so, the average person would say something scarier than “Go Away!” But, I am not your average person; I think I was suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder… or general delirium.
As I paused, waiting for the intruder to run screaming from our house because of my raspy warning voice, I heard a familiar voice say something.
“Jon???”, I said.
My brother-in-law cautiously replied, “You don’t have a bat, do you?”
Suddenly, I felt very stupid. Suddenly, I remembered Dave saying that he had invited his brother to sleep over because they would be leaving early in the morning for their mountain adventure. Suddenly, I realized what had happened.
As I went down the stairs, I apologized profusely and my face turned a pretty shade of fuchsia. Taking the walk of utter embarrassment back to bed, I heard him say, “I’m really glad you guys don’t own a firearm!”
11 comments:
wow - you are one brave girl. I would have probably screamed or something. How scary! That is actually one of my biggest fears - is getting our house broken into while we're there. I'm afraid of the dark anyway and always have to sleep with a light on somewhere. So if that had happened to me, I probably would have not only peed my pants but probably would have been too terrified to move or speak. LOL Good thing it was just Dave's brother.
Jon can be pretty scary. I would of freaked out too!
We are looking forward to seeing you this week!
Okay, I have TEARS in the corners of my eyes I am laughing so hard! Jack keeps saying, "Stop laughing, Mommy!" It just seems like something I would do....(or have done =)) I am sorry to hear that you got so scared, but it's just adorable to think of you in scrubs defending yourself, husband, and home with your commanding words! (Remind me to tell you sometime about the sister missionary who pretended she was going to attack me.) I love you Chelle! I'm glad that your brother in law was not a drunken bad guy. =)
That is so funny! Why didn't you share your story with us the next morning when we saw you again? That would have got us all laughing.
Can I tell you I laughed just as hard the 2nd time I heard you tell this story. I have been so good and not repeated this to anyone and now you have shared it with the whole blogging world. I still think you should have shared it with the YW as they would have really loved it. Their Fearless leader.
I was apprehensive about sharing this (esp with the YW) because it was so embarrassing. However, I told Nana and she thought it was so funny that she was crying. After that, I decided I must share this "good laugh" with the blogging world. And, my supportive husband, laughing through tears, said - "Now you really have something to blog about!"
I was almost crying reading this...you made my night!I had something similar happen. When Emma was only amonth old we were up late and some guy starts banging on our door (for the neighbors) and is going on and on and getting more uoset each minute. He was yelling about how he had a bat and was going to kill this girl (who I assume was in the other apartment). We called the cops at that point. THEN he starts HITTING our door with the bat!!! UH, scared does not even BEGIN to describe howI felt! He broke our screen door (well the glass). He walked away and the cops showed up and nothing really ever came of that except not feeling safe in my home...about a week or two later during the day someone tried to get in through my balcony and again I had to call the cops. To make a long story short, those apartments SUCKED!
"You don't have a bat, do you?"
Hahaha... :)
hilarious!!! poor michelle!!!
First of all, I profusely apologize for not having commented sooner. I could have sworn I added you to my google reader weeks ago, but then realized today that I HADN'T and am now catching up on your posts.
Second of all, this story is HILARIOUS!! Holy smokes--you made me laugh so hard! Thank you for sharing--this is priceless.
Thanks for all of your fun posts. I'm glad that this little story could provide some laughter. It's one that I'm sure one day I will look back and laugh at it too... after I get over the horrible embarrassment of my silly behavior! :)
Post a Comment