While other things occasionally interfere with our special night, we try to reserve it just for us. In the short time we have been married, I’ve discovered that this can sometimes be a problematic venture. The tricky part is two-fold: trying not to get into a rut (and when I mean “rut”, I mean rent a movie, start said movie, promptly fall asleep); the other is finding something that interests both of us.
As many of you know, we have a lot of common interests. However, we also have a lot of individual interests too! Because of this, we decided to take turns proposing and planning the activity for the week. It keeps things interesting… and at least every other week we each get to do what we want!
A few days ago, I was reading an article from the New York Times entitled, “Reinventing Date Night for Long-Married Couples”. The article focuses on middle-age couples, and though I’m not *quite* there, I think it has some great ideas for anyone who is trying to strengthen their marriage (who isn't?). As we all are in the same boat, everyone should find this blog to be entirely enriching and life-changing. If not, just humor me.
I found these lines to be particularly interesting:
Most studies of love and marriage show that the decline of romantic love overAt the end of the study, the article delivers the real nugget of relationship wisdom. “You don’t have to swing from the chandeliers,” Dr. Fisher said. “Just go to a new part of a town, take a drive in the country or better yet, don’t make plans, and see what happens to you.”
time is inevitable. The butterflies of early romance quickly flutter away and
are replaced by familiar, predictable feelings of long-term attachment.
But several experiments show that novelty — simply doing new things together as
a couple — may help bring the butterflies back, recreating the chemical surges
of early courtship.
I have to admit that seeing there was actual scientific proof that love fades was a bit disheartening. But, the solution is simple – and you don’t have to hop on a chandelier to do it! Upon finishing the article, I had a renewed sense of the importance of date night. I was energized. I was ready for something new. I was ready to be spontaneous.
And, as it was my turn to plan our date night this week, I skimmed through various sites in search of our “new thing”. After much deliberation and emails back and forth to DH, I got tickets for a local play. It may not sound exciting, but it’s something exciting, different and new for us.
7 comments:
I love it! What a great line "You don’t have to swing from the chandeliers"--that totally cracked me up.
I totally agree that doing something new and spontaneous can be so fun--even if it's really simple. I asked Charming to sit on the front porch with me the other night after the Wooga man went to sleep and it was so fun for me--it felt like when we were dating again. :)
Thanks for sharing this - what an interesting article. I think its a great idea that you guys both switch off deciding what to do every Friday. I'll keep that article in mind the next time we are tempted to just rent a blockbuster and fall asleep to it. :)
I don't know if my comment saved or not...
I think that is fun you guys take turns planning your date night. We enjoy our date nights too- when we get them. Have fun at the play!
Variety is the spice of life. I've always believed in this
Good reminder to get out there and do something new or different. What play did you go see? How was it?
I hope you will post about your experience at the play! I'm impressed that Dave was on board with something like that...maybe I can use that as another bit of persuasion to get Trevor to come to a play with me someday. (Cool points to Dave!) I love the idea of switching off who gets to plan the date. I think I need to ask out my husband...our RUT has become "hanging out" after the kids have gone to bed, which is nice, but not a "date." =)
HeidiB - I know that line cracked me up too! And yes, even really simple date nights are fun... in fact, I think I prefer simple!
Jenni - I'm so glad you enjoyed the article. I LOVE switching weeks; it's fun to plan something but I look forward to Dave's ideas too... even if it's Blockbuster (b/c sometimes Fridays are a nice time to stay in & relax, right?).
HeidiL - You guys should totally try it! And if you have a great idea but don't have a babysitter, just call! It may be "my week" & we could do something fun with your kiddos. :)
Nana - I so agree.
Rach - Thanks! We saw a mystery musical called "Something's Afoot". Details will be forthcoming in an entry soon!
Tiff - Yes I will! And he gets even more "cool points" b/c I didn't realize it was a musical. :) Definitely "ask" Trevor out sometime soon - you will love it!
Post a Comment