My friend, Angela, said to relax.
She wrote a great post on stress, time management and being selective in our daily activities. Her post resonated with me because of the crazy, self-imposed schedule I experienced yesterday.
Here was how my Thursday played out:
- Take Dave to church at 6am
- Drive to work
- Work, work, work
- Leave office in early afternoon
- Meet with real-estate agent
- Go to gym (almost skipped this one)
- Go to Joann’s (wander for one hour - luxurious)
- Go to Safeway
- Speed home, while eating dinner – normally I don’t do this, but I was starving by this point!
- Make dinner for friends who just had baby
- Deliver dinner (it was late, but very freeze-able)
- Shower
- Watch “The Office”
- Make YW posters for fundraising dinner
- Do load of laundry
- Mend temple dress
- (on sewing streak) Rip seams from dress that I started sewing in 2003
- Prepare to watch “Lost” and suddenly realize I sat through entire episode of “Eli Stone” – bleh
- Pack lunch for next day
- Clean kitchen
- Load & run dishwasher
- Pack work bag
- Write email to YW
- Lay out clothes
- Get ready for bed
- Make bed
- Say prayers
- Set TV to sleep mode on Bravo's “Step It Up & Dance” in hopes that it will lull me into a deep sleep because my husband is not home
- Watch “Step It Up & Dance” – why why why?
- TV turns off; wait to fall asleep while listening to weird noises
- Take deep breaths
- Pass out around midnight
I know that I try to do to much.
In Angela’s post, she wrote, “May we all take time to relax. My husband so wisely encourages me often not to stress myself out, and if it comes that I need to pick and choose, I need to pick and choose. That’s that.”
Amen.
Dave is currently riding through the beautiful landscapes of the San Juan islands. He is probably relaxed. If he were here yesterday, he would have told me to do the same.
5 comments:
Girl, that is a lot for a day. Sounds a lot like my pre-pregnancy self LOL. My mom was constantly telling me "You need to take time to smell the roses". So cliche, but so true. But hey at least you got to smell the roses (per se) at JoAnn's. :) I like what your friend said, to pick and choose.
Life does so easily get so busy we can't even remember what we are supposed to be doing. I remember one of the apostles speaking about how we fill up our lives with so many things. Each of them is good things. We need to remember to 'choose the better part'. I think that's how it goes. Check out the book Secrets of an Unbalanced Woman. Totally great book.
I too watched "Step It Up & Dance" and I echo, why why why? What I should have been doing was catching up on some sleep since my boy was so peacefully asleep in his bed. Oh well..
Wow, that's a lot for a day. I saw some of that step it up and dance show on our flights to and from NY last week. It kind of makes me wish we had TV, but in the end I think it saves me from wasting a lot of time.
Jennif - yes, picking & choosing is the secret to success!
Sara - I'm going to have to check out that book. You'd think that, as a librarian, my first thought would be to go to a book. Thanks for the great suggestion!
Mindy - I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Those shows are so silly, yet so addictive too.
Rach - I spent a year without TV a few years ago, and honestly, I cannot remember missing it. I think I'd get a lot more done w/o it.
Post a Comment