Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Soapbox Moment

Stacey, a fellow blogger, wrote an interesting post on current news headlines, which caught my attention yesterday. It spoke about America's moral nosedive - and how people's bad behaviors are not only accepted, but even rewarded at times. As I've scanned my Google RSS reader for work this week, I think I'd have to agree: I have encountered countless articles on greed, selfishness & infidelity. A recent article announced that the pope had brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalisation. God bless America - because we need it!

Sometimes, I turn off the tv, radio or computer because the bad news becomes overwhelming. Scanning headlines, I'm struck by how indulgent our society has become; those negative indulgences wound the spirit, kill marriages and rip apart families. But, as I've been reading the stories that illustrate the unraveling of our nation's moral fiber, I realized that not all is lost! We are fortunate & blessed to have the gospel, which provides a simple recipe for happiness. We can find true joy within our families, peace in the gospel and hope through the Savior.

As a quick aside, indulgences are not necessarily a bad thing. According to Merriam Webster, an indulgence can be "something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary". Below is a list, titled "Natural Highs" which a friend sent me years ago; I'd say a couple of these indulgences are absolutely necessary (chocolate milkshakes) but most are not. I've tweaked the list a bit to apply it to my life. It reminds me that the simple things in life are truly the sweetest.

TOP 50 NATURAL HIGHS
1. Falling in love… over and over
2. Laughing so hard your face hurts
3. A hot shower on a cold morning
4. Feeling the spirit
5. No lines at the supermarket
6. A special glance
7. Getting Fun Mail
8. Taking a leisurely drive on a country road
9. Hearing your favorite song on the radio
10. Lying in bed listening to the rain outside
11. Hot towels fresh from the dryer
12. Finding the sweater you want – and it’s on sale
13. Hot fudge, chocolate milkshakes
14. Singing in the car
15. A long-distance phone call
16. A bubble bath
17. Hearing the laughter of a baby
18. A good, thought-provoking conversation
19. Going to the ocean/beach
20. Finding a $20 bill in your winter coat
21. Laughing at yourself
22. Midnight phone calls that last for hours
23. Running through sprinklers with wild abandon
24. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all
25. Having someone tell you that you’re beautiful
26. Making new friends or spending time with old ones
27. Playing with a puppy or kitten
28. Having someone play with your hair
29. Sweet dreams
30. Hot chocolate or caramel apple cider
31. Road trips with friends
32. Swinging on swings
33. Wrapping Christmas presents while eating cookies and hot chocolate
34. Song lyrics printed inside a new CD so you can sing along
35. Going to a really good concert
36. Taking the perfect picture
37. Winning a really competitive game
38. Making cookies
39. Having your friends send you homemade cookies
40. Attending the symphony
41. Seeing smiles and hearing laughter from your friends
42. Holding hands with someone you care about
43. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things never change
44. Riding roller coasters
45. Watching the expression on someone’s face as they open a much-desired present
46. Hitting all green lights when you’re running late
47. Being comfortable in your own skin
48. Watching the sunrise
49. Gazing at the stars on a clear night
50. Getting out of bed each morning and being grateful for another beautiful day

5 comments:

Stacey said...

What a great post. I love that you point out the positive and live a happy life. And I especially love #20, although I usually don't find anything bigger than a $5 bill in my pockets. (Yet it's still exciting).

wandering nana said...

I love things that remind me how blessed I am. It is the simple things that can bring such pleasure. I know this is the thing that we have been taught thru the gospel. My family brings me such pleasure and I have discovered that even more as I don't see them as much as I would like. I want to add another thing to your list... Seeing more rainbows in Seattle than I ever did in Utah. They're huge and complete and beautiful.

TnT Bingham said...

thanks for the soapbox sermon! You are so right that there is always something to be thankful for.

Loved the ski pics! It sounds like you had a great trip to Utah! You looked fantastic on that hill. I love you!

Rose said...

I like your list of natural highs! What a great list!

Jenni said...

Thanks for bringing a fresh view to this and for making a positive situation out of a neg one. Nice post! :)