A new couple in our ward, who had only been here for a few weeks, were assigned to talk in church today. As the young woman approached the podium, she announced that she would be speaking on charity. As I sat in the pew, I was expecting the usual "Charity Never Faileth" talk, interspersed with some topical scriptures and quotes. While those normal elements were present, she also brought up a movie called "Pay It Forward." I'm not sure how many have seen it; it is a bit sweet and sad, but not one of my all time favorite films. However, the overriding theme of the movie has a beautiful message about service. As I listened to the rest of the talk, I started to ponder on the various ways that I have expressed charity to those around me... and how I could do better.
Tonight, I was scanning through the various blogs of my friends and family, which I visit on a regular basis. One of my friends, Mindy, posted about a "Pay it Forward" game and I thought it sounded like a nice opportunity. The game actually reminded me of Fun Mail, and I've been meaning to get some packages together, so this is a handy way to "kill two birds with one stone".
So, here is the scoop (aka - The Rules): "The first three people to comment on this post will receive a little gift from me sometime within the next 365 days. Who knows when it will turn up, or what it will be, but rest assured, it will arrive. All you have to do is promise to make the same declaration on your blog, and send out gifts to three of your lovely readers. It's as easy as that!"
So, if you'd like to participate - please do! But even if you don't want to take part in the game, I challenge you to look for opportunities to serve each other - I'm making this my personal goal for the next few weeks. And, it can be as simple as smiling at a stranger, yielding to someone in traffic, delivering treats to a friend, or talking to someone that seems sad or lonely. While the recipient of your service will feel your love, you will benefit even more from those little moments as you grow closer to the Savior.
4 comments:
I am NOT commenting to get something,I promise! Thank you for reminding me of something that has been seriously lacking in our home the past few months.
I'm also not commenting to get something (especially since I received some of your fun mail, which I need to send on) I too loved her reminder of "charity". I will take the challenge and try to do more.
I'll post to get something. She always gives good loot! Love your buns!
Yea - I have three (thanks Tam)!
Sara - I don't think I have your current address... would you mind sending it to me?
You ladies are fabulous - and I hope you enjoy the imminent treat coming your way within 365 days!
Post a Comment