On Sunday, we had New Beginnings in our ward. As the Beehive counselor, I was asked to do a brief presentation (a humorous talk-show style), where I learned that the girls have to complete six small goals and one 10-hour project for each of the seven values; this equates to 49 goals during their time in Young Womens. I'm relatively new to the calling and still learning about the current program (the one I went through was much different).
In browsing some informational sites, I found this little gem on Sugardoodle.net and I just had to share it. Any girl that can grow a dainty privacy garden around their outhouse, knows the weak points of a hen and can destroy at least 25 flies in one day is well-deserving of some major recognition, in my humble opinion. Of the 20 listed, I'm wondering how many, if any, we could do today.
1916 Beehive Requirements
In 1916, every female over fourteen was a Beehive girl until she entered the Relief Society; there were no Mia Maids, Gleaners, or Laurels. The following are 20 out of the 373 requirements possible for a Beehive girl to earn her awards:
1. Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season and know their habits.
2. Give the distinguishing characteristics of six varieties of hen and cattle and tell the good and weak points of each.
3. Exterminate the mosquitoes over an area of 1/2 mile square by pouring a little kerosene on the surface of all standing pools of water twice each month during April, May, and June.
4. Make two articles of underwear by hand.
5. Cover 25 miles in snowshoes on any six days.
6. Learn to float in Great Salt Lake and propel yourself 50 feet.
7. During three consecutive months, abstain from candy, ice cream, commercially manufactures beverages, and chewing gum.
8. For one month, masticate your food so thoroughly that it slips down without any visible effort at swallowing it.
9. Successfully put a new washer on a faucet.
10. Care for at least two kerosene lamps daily.
11. For three months, take care of milk and cream from at least one cow and see that the pails, pans, strainer, and separator are thoroughly cleansed.
12. During two weeks, keep the house free from flies or destroy at least 25 flies daily.
13. Have your toilet moved to an isolated place in the garden. Have a frame of chicken wire built about three feet away and plant quick-growing vines such as cucumber or morning glories to screen it from observation.
14. Whitewash your toilet inside and out.
15. Know and describe three cries of a baby.
16. Without help or advice, care for and harness a team at least five times; drive them 50 miles during one season.
17. During two summer months, clean ice chest thoroughly twice a week.
18. Discover ten reasons why the Columbine should be the national flower.
19. Clear sagebrush off of one half acre of land.
20. Know six blazes used by the Indians.
-June Conference; Beehive Dept., 1969
8 comments:
WOW!!! I'm impressed. I've served in YW a few times and I didn't know any of this. I guess earning a medallion nowadays would be considered. . .well, uh, easy!! Yet I haven't earned mine. I guess I'll have to get on the list you found. Know where I could get a good hive and a yoke of oxen? I'll probably need an outhouse too.
I'll see what I can do - you definitely need to help you get your YW recognition before you leave!
By the way, I appreciate all the work you did to make tonight a auccess for everyone. I think everyone had a good time - but I think Professor Prune got the biggest kick out of it... nice work!
how interesting. Sounds alot harder than what they have to do today! The chewing the food one was pretty funny.
I know! Doing some service and reading a few scriptures seems so easy, in comparison.
I don't know why you didn't know about these... I had to do all these to get my YW Recognition. Remember, I'm not as young as all of you.. JK...I actually had seen this list before. I had forgotten about this so it was fun seeing it again. I think it was a hard for them as it is for the girls now. The challenges are there. This would be a good list to share with the girls.
Nana - yeah right! You're not "that" old. :) In fact, you're not old at all. Dave was a bit surprised by your rose story, but I thought it was funny and fabulous! Maybe we could share the 1916 list with the girls as a way to jump start our renewed efforts to energize personal progress?
That website is great! Thanks
I want you to work at killing those 25 flies in your house each day. Can you even imagine?! I go crazy if ONE fly gets inside. These were a crack up. Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment