Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What's for Dinner? 11/15

Pork Fried Rice - Michelle Style

Lately I've been in a meal rut. In fact, I've been known to make the same dinner more than once in a week! While Dave doesn't really care about food monotony, as long as it tastes good, but I CANNOT eat the same thing every night. Just can't do it.

So, I investigated what was in our fridge and freezer, seeking some major culinary inspiration. I caught sight of some pork fillets that were buried in the deep freeze. After scouring the fridge for leftover veggies - and thanks to some Google assistance, I whipped up a tasty dish in no time flat.

As with most recipes these days, I checked out a bunch of somewhat healthy recipes... and then followed none of them. I see the basic jist of a recipe and then sort of make up my own as I go.

INGREDIENTS
My spices/flavorings of choice: Rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, powdered ginger, and low-sodium soy sauce. Oh, and a little Splenda (not pictured). I sort of just added these, to taste. How's that for measurements?

1 cup Basmati brown rice (cooks up to be about 3-4 cups of rice)

Veggies of choice: orange bell pepper, red onions, broccoli, scallions, & celery (all diced - quantity is up to you)

3 eggs

2 thin pork fillets (~3/4 lb)

DIRECTIONS
Add small amount of canola oil to a heated pan; saute pork, then add all diced veggies and cook for a few minutes on medium high heat.

Add the brown rice (and a small amount of oil and chicken broth, if needed); saute for several minutes on medium to medium high heat. Stir at times to avoid burning.

In separate pan (or prior to sauteing meat and veggies), pour in eggs and don't stir. Allow to cook like a large pancake and flip, cooking again until slightly done. Cut into strips and then again into small pieces.

Add eggs, petite frozen peas, scallions and any seasonings (I basically just added small dashes of each, with a larger quantity of soy sauce); cook until warmed through...
and enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

After reading this post last week, I whipped up a batch of fried rice last night! Though, what a pretty presentation you created! After I was done cooking, my kitchen was a complete disaster and Brian asked "what happened in here?!". Your neatly chopped ingredients make me laugh, because my kitchen didn't look nearly as nice as yours did!