Being a mom is hard. And no one thanks you or pats you on the back for each bottle, each diaper change, each story, each bath. But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for any other role in the world. Despite all of the screaming, sleepless nights, poop, crying, vomit, temper tantrums and other sundry "not-so-fun" things, it's worth it. It really is.
Why?
Because at the end of each day, you have taught important lessons... and learned some things on the way, too. Because at the end of each day, you are a little better than you were the day before. Because at the end of the day, you've touched the life of your child in a way that no one else can. Because at the end of the day, you realize that your child is yours forever - and that love will never end; it's an eternal, miraculous and beautiful blessing.
"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone.
So, even though this holiday was probably created to boost card, flower and candy sales, I choose to revel in the beauty and power of the sweet title of mom, mommy or mother. It's what I've always wanted to be, and a title I hope I live up to each day. To my mom and all of the other mothers out there, I hope you take a moment to savor and enjoy your day - whether it's filled with poopy diapers, angst-ridden teenagers or empty nests.
As a quick aside, I wanted to share a picture of the most awesome button, which is on special loan from my husband today. He even dared me to wear it to church - and I totally did. Because today, for just one day, it was all about ME.

As a quick aside, I wanted to share a picture of the most awesome button, which is on special loan from my husband today. He even dared me to wear it to church - and I totally did. Because today, for just one day, it was all about ME.
2 comments:
I love your picture.
That Elizabeth Stone quote is really precious... I totally feel that way. Thanks for posting!
Post a Comment