Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sidelined

"Pain is temporary.. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." ~Lance Armstrong
During a great run on Monday afternoon, sporting my new Nike capri running pants and an energized outlook on training, I think I overdid it. Tuesday morning, I awoke to some pain in my left hip. I happened to have a doctor appointment that morning and mentioned it to my PCP at the end of my appt. She did a quick check and said that it could be a number of things.

Number of Things:
  • Muscle sprain
  • Hip bursitis
  • Hip tendonitis
  • Contusion
  • Stress fracture
  • Hip labral tear
  • Osteitis pubis
  • Sport hernia
  • Snapping hip syndrome
  • Traumatic hip subluxation & dislocation
  • Hip arthritis
  • Low back strain

I'm starting to realize I have access to way too much medical information, and just enough knowledge of it to attempt a self-diagnosis of any number of catastrophic injuries/maladies.

Needless to say, I'm sidelined until the pain subsides. Slapping myself on the wrist for 1) not stretching well before the workout, 2) pushing myself hard during workouts, and 3) not stretching well after the workout. Hopefully, I can log some pool time so that this doesn't completely ruin my training schedule!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I hope you heal fast, it's a bummer that you're hurt! Hopefully the weather warms up Phantom Lake and we could go swimming there. :)

Michelle said...

I missed you on my bike ride today. I wore my pink shirt and I'm sure you would have worn the same, twin!! :)