Monday, June 21, 2010

Cel-e-brate Good Times, C'mon!

Wow - this past weekend was definitely a weekend of celebrations. Here's the lowdown:

FRIDAY
After an absolutely lovely family walk in the 70 degree weather, we whisked ourselves - or rather slodged through rush hour/Friday night traffic - up north to Smokey Point. Destination? Red Robin for a dual birthday bash for Brent & Azzlinn... who were in town on official Strawberry Festival business (A was turning over her princess crown to the 2010 royalty). After waiting for "The Bird" staff to set up our 30-people table, we ate good food, chatted with the fam and wrangled a very tired, and very teething 10-mo old cutie pie. I thought my parents would be out of town on Sunday, so we presented my dad with his present: an updated, framed portrait of Benjamin for his office. On the way home, swung by Costco for some necessities, as well as their tasty frozen yogurt.

SATURDAY
While Dave & Bret headed for rock climbing adventures in Darrington, Benjamin kept me company while I whipped up a chocolate brownie & rapsberry trifle, a fresh fruit salad and a lime cheesecake dip. After a morning filled with party prep and house cleaning, we piled all of the goodies into the car and headed to Edmonds for Aubri's bridal shower. It was a kitchen shower so everyone was instructed to bring their favorite dish, as well as the recipe. We had sent out an Evite and were a bit nervous that the food would be spartan, at best, with very few people submitting their RSVP. However, our worries soon dissipated; people kept showing up - and they kept piling food onto the table. We had steamed vegetable platter, chicken salad & croissants, pirogies, black bean soup, chicken curry, indian rice, "chaser" salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, yogurt, herbs), strawberry spinach salad, cinnamon breakfast bites, trifle, fruit & dip, lemonade/orange punch, and lemon bars. There was so much food, we had leftovers for Sunday dinner!


Shortly after the shower, I embarked on the Mukilteo ferry for the second celebration of the day. Although a bit belated, I got tickets to see "Cinderella the Musical" at the Whidbey Playhouse in Oak Harbor as a very late Mother's Day gift to my mom, sister, and niece, Jennifer. It was a fun play and the costumes were very unique; actors wore all black, then wore very colorful, flamboyant paper doll-like costumes, which could be quickly changed as scenes required. Mom, Kali and I really enjoyed it, but Jen, who is a soccer player and was very tired that night, wasn't sure why people would want to watch a play. She kept asking, "What's the point?". Got to love teenagers, huh?


SUNDAY
I told Dave to choose what he wanted for Father's Day breakfast, and he asked for French Toast. So, I had all of the stuff ready, including fresh strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Fortunately, Dave wakes up really hungry every morning. Unfortunately, he usually eats breakfast around 5am; when I woke at 6am, he was munching away on his favorite cereal. After wishing him Happy Father's Day, I laughed and said I'd make the Cinnamon French Toast for lunch.

Church was great. Sacrament meeting included a talk from one of our YW on prayer; our friend, Somphien, spoke about fathers (and shared some sweet stories about her family); the Primary sang a Father's Day song; and the high councilman (Bro. Church) gave a great talk filled with fun stories about his 70s hair and accidentally breaking a wheelchair while trying to transport a ward member to church. Benjmain slept through most of the meeting (yea!) which was nice because the YW were in charge of coordinating the Father's Day gift. Each father (or father-in-training)received a sleeve of 3 chocolate chip cookies with a little tag; it wasn't too labor-intensive and I think the guys really liked them.

After church, we headed to Edmonds for Sunday dinner. The shower leftovers and the Italian Chicken were great, plus it was fun to just spend time with everyone. Dave received Cashew Roca from his parents and we gave Dave's dad a black & white picture of Benjamin for his desk at work.

And lest you think all I gave Dave was some soggy french toast for Father's Day, just know that he was sufficiently honored - and maybe even a teensy bit spoiled - on his big day. But, it's his 1st official Father's Day, and he totally deserves it in my very humble opinion. He is such an awesome dad to Benjamin and I feel absolutely lucky and abundantly blessed to have him in our life!

No comments: