Here's what we did on...
Monday
Dave was in one of his most heated depositions in downtown Seattle, which lasted for nearly 9 hours. So, after a grueling day with clients and a long commute home, we ate a quick dinner of citrus-grilled chicken and fresh broccoli before starting FHE. Dave grabbed the Ensign and chose the First Presidency message, "Prayer and the Blue Horizon" by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
Here is one of his powerful thoughts about the principle of prayer:
Daily simple, sincere, and mighty prayers lift our lives to a higher spiritual altitude. In our prayers we praise God, give thanks to Him, confess weaknesses, petition needs, and express deep devotion to our Heavenly Father. As we make this spiritual effort in the name of Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, we are endowed with increased inspiration, revelation, and righteousness, which bring the brightness of heaven into our lives.
Tuesday

Three guys from our ward invited Dave to play some evening tennis at the local high school.
I came along to hit a few backhands and forehands but with a burgeoning 7-month pregnant belly, I knew I'd be on the sidelines watching when the real action unfolded. However, one of the guys was running late so they invited me to hit with them. As it's been almost 2 years since I pulled out my trusty orange Volkl racket, I figured I would be a bit rusty. Miraculously, my tennis skills returned quickly and I kept pace with "the boys".
The Good? I got to hit for over an hour and then played an entire set, which I won - with great thanks and considerable assistance from my tennis partner, Eli.
The Bad? On my first attempt at serving, I felt a sharp twinge in my back that caused me to hobble a bit for most of the set. Oh, and #2 - I totally nailed my partner in the back with said serve. Just. Lovely.
Wednesday
Because the Mia Maids were in charge of this week's activity and because the scouts were attempting to "Capture the Flag", Dave & I had to be at the church super early. Swinging by to pick up two YW, we arrived later than I had hoped but all went according to plan.
Our Mia Maid president wanted to revisit the "Wedding Dress Design Contest" for this week's activity, but because we had just done it the year before, I knew many of the girls knew the drill. Rather than giving everyone the same white material (we used toilet paper the first time), I took four brown bags and filled them with a pair of scissors, tape and one of the following groups of raw materials:
- toilet paper
- plastic shopping bags/paper towels
- garbage bags
- napkins
Sealed and numbered, the bags were chosen at random by the four groups. Grabbing the bags and running into their respective classrooms, the girls got into "Project Runway" mode and came up with some amazing designs.
To cap off the evening, I threw together a mini wedding cake. It's one 6" layer stacked on an 8" layer of devil's food cake, filled with chocolate mousse, iced with a very decadent vanilla buttercream and edged with chocolate buttercream. Due to lack of time and materials, I totally cheated and bought the roses - but they capped things off nicely.
Fun, hilarious night.
Thursday
After working my half day at the library, I jumped in the car and carefully sped over to the temple to meet Michelle for an 11am endowment session.
The temple was quite warm that day and it wasn't just my pregnant, always-hot self thinking so; we both struggled staying awake during the session (and noticed many other bobbing heads too)! The session went well, the company was wonderful and it was a great day to be at the temple.
And... a few, short hours later, I was back!
Dave and I were assigned to serve on this month's sealing team with our ward. Unfortunately, our beautiful sealing room was a bit of a furnace. Fortunately, the sealer was kind enough to keep the door open for us.
It was a great day to be at the temple.
Friday
Friday was a fabulous day!
I started off by making one of my favorite breakfast foods - Basil Egg Bake. It may not sound terribly fancy or tempting but the combination of canadian bacon, fresh basil, eggs, cracked pepper and parmesan is a sensation for the taste buds.
Shortly after breakfast, Michelle & I met up for our weekly brisk walk along the scenic Burke-Gilman, though after a tough week of pulled muscles and unpleasant swollen feet, we cut back our workout by 30 minutes. Rushing home to shower, I was out the door and up to the outlet mall - I was a woman on a mission: roomy sandals and clothes for a newborn.
Due to my new, puffy condition (or Sasquatch feet, as Dave so lovingly referred to them), I was in desperate need of some nice, comfortable dress sandals. I guess I deserve these unsightly things because I have not suffered too much with any other pregnancy ailments. Plus, I get to buy new shoes - and what woman doesn't love that? After sifting through many stores and a bazillion styles, I found two pair of sandals... that were on SALE!
I desperately needed black for work, but then also found a red sandal with a cork heel. I absolutely love red and have always wanted a pair of red footwear, so this was a great find for me!
I've put off buying baby clothes for no apparent reason. In an effort to not take home a completely naked newborn from the hospital, I thought I should remedy the situation. Thanks to my smart, savvy friend and mom of two adorable twin boys, I was headed to the Carter's outlet with a 20% coupon firmly in hand.
The best thing about Carter's is that they are always holding THE BIGGEST SALE EVER; I only know this because of the many baby showers I've attended and Carter's has always saved the day with inexpensive, adorable finds.
Sure enough, as I walked through the door, 50, 60 & 70%-off signs were everywhere! As I am super cheap, I made a beeline for the large, red 70%-off rack. After mulling over the many lion, sailor, duck and dump truck designs, I loaded my arms with a variety of onesies, sleepers and separates.
As I stood in the line, it seemed like I had a ton of clothes so the bill would be high, naturally. But, with the 70% clearance - and a 20% coupon - well, I felt like I was practically stealing the clothes... which was, interestingly, a very good feeling!
Saturday
Today's To-Do list?
- Insanely long bike ride for Dave - but he lives for those kind of things
- Fill my day with whatever I feel like (which sounds sublime)
- Wedding reception for Ryan & Evie
- Trip to Sea-Tac to pick up Nana & the Mr.
Sunday
Slated for tomorrow?
- Church, as always
- Surprise birthday party for Casey - who doesn't read this blog, so no worries there!
- Dinner & catching up with the family
Happy weekend to you all - hope you have had a great week too!
5 comments:
I love this post! The Mia Maid activity looked like fun, your breakfast looks delicious and you bought some great baby clothes. You had a busy week! I hope you had a great Saturday and Dave is recovering nicely from his bike ride. I picked up my new computer and am having a heck of a time navigating it. I almost called you last night after our date to PF Changs, I couldn't figure out how to turn the thing on. :)
Thanks for all the updates. And thanks for the ride home from the airport. I took some meds for the dumb cough and slept thru the alarm. I love the dresses. Looks like it was even better than last year... The clothes are so cute and love the sandals.
I wish I lived by you! I love hearing about your week. You are one busy woman. I long to play tennis with you. My tennis playing friend is pregnant and prone to miscarry so she can't play. 7 months and still playing strong, way to go!!
HOLY COW. WHAT AN AWESOME WEEK! You are superwoman. OK my piece of advice: I've bought like ONE thing for Wesley. Seriously. Everything else has been gifts and hand-me-downs. So don't go too crazy. And I am ultra bummed I missed that amazing cake. I'm certain you have more hours in the day than I have.
Looks like you got some cute clothes for the baby! I'm kind of sad I don't have an excuse to get any; most of Josh's are still in perfectly good shape.
Post a Comment