Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I See the Light(s)

This morning while driving to work, I was enjoying the program on the radio when Mt. Rainier suddenly came into view. The sunrise was just beginning to break over the Cascades, which drenched the majestic peak in a purplish, golden color.

As I passed the Beardsley Blvd exit, I gazed at the clock. I was running slightly late, but I thought it would be just a few minutes; traffic was a little heavy but not too bad. As the radio hosts gabbed about some funny story, I mindlessly passed a car as I cruised up the hill towards Kirkland.

I was quite surprised when I saw the colorful blue and red lights flick on as said car eased into my lane - right behind me.

I calmly (while shaking just a bit) put my turn signal on and slowly moved over three lanes, coming to a complete stop on the side of a very busy I-405.

I think I would have started crying, if not for the fact that I was completely bewildered about what traffic law I had broken. I started to mentally check off the potential offenses in my head:

  • Traffic was fairly heavy at the 522/405 interchange, so I was positive that I wasn't speeding. CHECK
  • I wasn't on my cell phone. CHECK
  • I had not made any wild, erratic lane changes. CHECK
  • I was not tailgating anyone - the nearest car was several hundred yards up the hill. CHECK
  • The car was very much registered in my name, so thus, not stolen. CHECK
  • I noticed my hands were firmly at "10 & 2" - which kind of made me laugh at my fastidious position. CHECK (though I don't think it breaks any law to NOT do the "10 & 2")

As I continued to rack my brain, the patrolman startled me by tapping on the passenger side window. I rolled down the window. He asked me a few questions, including requesting my registration and license. After a few pleasantries (and no ticket OR warning), he left me to continue on my commute.

So what was the problem?

My tabs had expired in February - and yeah, I know, it's June... so they are very expired.

Except, I renewed my tabs a week before we left for Mexico. I did it myself, so I know it happened. Right before we left, we dropped the car off at Dave's parents and gave the tabs to them to put on, in case they wanted to drive it while we were out of country. However, they didn't drive it so the tabs didn't need to be put on. I just assumed they had - and never checked.

When I went out to the car at lunch and opened the glove box, the registration form AND 2010 tab were neatly folded beneath the registration form that I had clumsily handed to the nice officer earlier that morning. I promptly peeled the sticker off the back and slapped that baby on the back plate.

I can't believe that I didn't notice and have been driving with expired 2009 tabs for over 4 months!

6 comments:

Ann said...

that's a good story. i have a similar one, only mine involved a missing front license plate. i meant to put it on, but never did. oops.

Michelle said...

Ahhh! I hate the feeling of being pulled over. I was pulled over when I was 16 for having expired tabs. I was so scared I didn't pull over and drove home! I got in more trouble for that than having expired tabs :)

Ravyn B. said...

Holy crap! I would've peed my pants right there!!! :) SCARY!!!!! Glad you survived! My worst fear is being pulled over for the first time! lol. :)

tearese said...

Oh no! At least it was nothing bad. Did he give you a ticket? My mom's been pulled over for things like a broken tail light or bad emissions before. THe one time I got pulled over was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. And there were no other cars anywhere.

Frank and Julie said...

What a story!
I guess that's what we get for assuming huh.
So I take it he must have seen the new tabs when you handed him the registration and such.
Remember the story when Eric was little. I was going to the pharmacy to get him meds. I got pulled over for not having my lights on at dark. I cried and said it would make my insurance go up. I got the ticket anyway.
When I pulled in my driveway the policeman had followed me and asked for the ticket and ripped it up. That was the only time I have ever had a ticket!

Amanda Schurig said...

Enjoy all the fun of being pregnant! Especially the forgetful brain!! :)