Sunday, August 28, 2011

Remembering Jenny

Jennifer Lynne Marchant
August 23, 1984 - August 6, 1988

I remember August 6th, 1988 with great clarity - the day my littlest sister passed away. I would rather not remember because the memories still bring back a very visceral pain and strong emotions which words cannot adequately convey. Time has healed the wounds, in a way, but that incredible sadness is still as present as the day she departed. While every family member processed her death differently, I know that each would express similar sentiments.

Each year, my family celebrates her birthday. Sometimes it's a quick visit to the gravesite while other times we just sit and talk. This year, 23 years after her death, we celebrated her birthday in a joyous way, together. My mom's friend invited us for a day at the lake (I blogged about that already), there was a visit to the gravesite and then everyone came over to our house for a big birthday dinner, complete with baked spaghetti, french bread, chopped salad, lemonade and ice cream cake. As right or wrong as it may be, food brings comfort to the soul.

In the cool of the evening, we sat around the table out on our deck, sharing good food and memories that have been tucked away in our hearts. It was a special night. These moments come few and far between, but I'm grateful for them because they help me remember. I remember that sweet, little girl, I recall my focus to live worthy to see her again and I give heartfelt thanks for the incredibly sacred blessings of eternal families and eternal life.

_____________________________

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Is this your sister?! How sad! I love how you guys celebrate her birthday every year! That's awesome!

Frank and Julie said...

Thank you for hosting our family dinner at your house! I think all who came were very impressed that you went to all that work.
Love,
Mom

Bridget said...

I didn't know you had a sister who died. I'm sorry. I love how you still celebrate her life so many years later. We plan on doing the same with our Evan.

wandering nana said...

This was beautiful. She looks like you. I think it is a great way to remember her.

angelalois said...

Hmm i think it's only been 13 years since her death! BUT STILL I can only imagine how it feels every year, and I'm glad you continue to honor her.

angelalois said...

(Oh I see now, her headstone says 1988 but the text says 1998... just sayin'! -- it has been 23 years! wow! what a sweet little thing, so sad to have passed so early!)